How to open Beyer DT770s?
Dec 1, 2004 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

GChow

Head-Fier
Awhile back, I read this thread and I ended up modding my K271s and 280s. Now I want to try the mod on my Beyer DT770s. Has anyone ever opened their's up? I removed the earpads and don't see any screws...

basshead.gif

Dec 1, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 5
sounds good to me , id do it , can only sound better , dont make problems for your self thou , take care

Dec 2, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 5
There is a plastic ring between the foam pad that covers the driver and the outer shell of the DT 770. Stick a thin screwdriver between the ring and the outer shell and gently pry up the ring. You will probably have to pry the ring up at a few points to get it to come up. After the ring is out lift up the foam and the driver will just slide out. Obviously be careful not to crack any of the plastic or anything. I have not done any mods to my 770s yet. Mine are the DT 770 Pro 250ohm version, I suppose other versions could come apart differently, but I doubt it. Let us know how the mod turns out.

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks bg4533! Worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, while stuffing it all back together, I dislodged one of the wires on the left earpiece. I was able to resolder it, but it was quite a pain to strip the jacket off that tiny wire.

Ok...so how does it sound? Right now, I'm unimpressed. I'm getting the impression of less
basshead.gif
than I did before the mod. I'm not entirely sure on that though so more concentrated listening is required. I never felt like the mids were recessed on these, and they still sound the same in that regards. Highs still sound a bit up front but not harsh. I'll do a lot more listening and post more impressions later.

For what it's worth, I have the DT770-250/non-pro version. I have a fairly big head and these don't have much clamping pressure at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back