How to not bother the neighbors...?
Feb 8, 2003 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if any of you have any ideas as to isolating the noise in my apartment TO my apartment... apart from the usual rugs and stuff used to keep sound from reflecting too much.
Thanks

Feb 8, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 10
What kind of noise? I know you can add some sort of noise insulator for your floors, but not really sure what you can do about your walls and ceilings.

Feb 8, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Use Your headphone
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2003 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 10
What is density?

I have to sleep a lot during the day and often that is difficult because of the 'home improvement attemts' of the neighbors.
So could you explain a bit more please.
Sorry English is not my native language.

Feb 8, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Ohoen
Just wondering if any of you have any ideas as to isolating the noise in my apartment TO my apartment... apart from the usual rugs and stuff used to keep sound from reflecting too much.
Thanks

Scoot the bed away from the wall so that the headboard doesn't bang against it.

Feb 8, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Lisa
What is density?

I have to sleep a lot during the day and often that is difficult because of the 'home improvement attemts' of the neighbors.
So could you explain a bit more please.
Sorry English is not my native language.

From www.websters.com, basically density means thickness, so by putting up rugs on the wall, your adding a layer of density to your wall to block out some more sound:

den·si·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dns-t)
n. pl. den·si·ties
1. The quality or condition of being dense.

2. The quantity of something per unit measure, especially per unit length, area, or volume.

3. The mass per unit volume of a substance under specified conditions of pressure and temperature.

4. Computer Science. The number of units of useful information contained within a linear dimension.

5. The number of individuals, such as inhabitants or housing units, per unit of area.

6. The degree of optical opacity of a medium or material, as of a photographic negative.

7. Thickness of consistency; impenetrability.
Complexity of structure or content.

8. Stupidity; dullness.

Feb 8, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 10
Rugs aren't very dense at all, so putting them up doesn't do a lot to help with sound transmission. Probably the easiest way to add some soundproofing is to add a layer or two of drywal. You can also stick a layer of sound dampening sheet btwn two pieces of 3/4" drywall, and this should do a lot to lessen sound transmission. You might also want to look at different mounting methods for drywall, like making two independent walls or using a channel to mount (do a google search, you'll get tons of info).

Feb 8, 2003 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Scoot the bed away from the wall so that the headboard doesn't bang against it.

Don't forget to use duct tape. Valium comes in handy in a pinch, too.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back