How to mute speaker sound on Denon 3805 when using headphone amp?
Aug 2, 2006 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MagnumOrpheus

New Head-Fier
I want to connect my Rega Ear headphone amp (h-amp) to a Denon 3805 surround receiver. What I want to do is:

When I connect the headphone, I want to be able to mute the speakers (this is necessary, because I don't want to disturb my neighbours. Besides, I don't want the speaker sound to 'interfere' with the headphone sound).

But so far I haven't been able to get this to work. I've read the manual and tried connecting the h-amp to the tape out connectors on the Denon (choosing Zone 2 as signal output), and this works fine with analog sound, but not with digital sources (as stated in the manual). I've also tried pre-out, but then I can't prevent the sound from going to the speakers as well. I also want to be able to adjust the volume using Denon's remote control (this isn't a 'requirement', but it would be very practical).

Does anyone (3805 owners with first-hand experience?) know if it's possible at all to connect a headphone amp to the Denon 3805 and mute the speakers, without muting the signal sent to the h-amp?

Your help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 11
Is it not possible to turn down the vol on the reciever yet still having the headamp connected to the tape out and controlling the headphone's vol using the headamp?

Aug 2, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil
Is it not possible to turn down the vol on the reciever yet still having the headamp connected to the tape out and controlling the headphone's vol using the headamp?

Yes, that's why I've tried using tape out, but as I've mentioned it doesn't work with digital sources (there's no sound if I choose my DVD-player or PC as a sound source). I was a bit puzzled by this, but this is how things apparently work.

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumOrpheus
I've been unable to locate any speaker on/off buttons on the 3805. Perhaps I'm overlooking something?

I looked at the Denon site and i see that the 3805 doesn't have a front panel A/B speaker selector. I don't have any experience with that model. If you still can't figure it out you might want to ask this question at a more HT oriented site if no member here can help.

Aug 2, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
If you still can't figure it out you might want to ask this question at a more HT oriented site if no member here can help.

I might do that. Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #9 of 11
Have a look on your remote, there should be a button named "output" (can't remember exactly, cos I use a learnng remote instead). Pressing it should toggling between Speaker+H/P or H/P only.

Aug 5, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 11
When you plug in headphones into the front headphone jacks, it mutes output to the speakers. Have you tried just plugging in, say, a 1/4" to 1/8" jack into the headphone out to mute the speakers when you want to listen through the Rega (which I'm assuming is connected via RCA cables)?

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268
When you plug in headphones into the front headphone jacks, it mutes output to the speakers. Have you tried just plugging in, say, a 1/4" to 1/8" jack into the headphone out to mute the speakers when you want to listen through the Rega (which I'm assuming is connected via RCA cables)?

When you plug anything into the headphone jack, the speakers will mute. However, the pre-out jacks will also mute at the same time, according to the Denon's manual. If you connect the headphone amp to the Tape Out jacks, though, this ought to work. Let us know!

LATER: I just got a headphone amp, and the only source that plays through the tape out jacks is the 3805's tuner. I can't get any sound from these outputs from other sources, whether they are digital or analog (e.g., my DVD player, which has both types of outputs; my TV, which is connected to the 3805 via optical digital; and an internet musicserver, connected to the 3805 via coax digital. I emailed Denon tech support before the h-amp arrived, and they suggested either pre/out jacks or tape out jacks. However, as noted, you can't turn off the speakers and still get sound through the h-amp. There is no switch to turn off the speakers. You can't plug in a headphone jack to mute the speakers, because, matt 268, this turns off the pre/out as well as muting the speakers. There is no output button on the remote, as ericyy describes. Until I hear differently from Denon, I'm listening to CD's and SACD's using the analog outputs on my player, without going through the 3805.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back