How to measure my headphone volume in DB
Feb 6, 2008 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vikas

New Head-Fier
I am using a headphone with following specification.

sensitivity-105 db/mw
impedance-32 ohz
power export - 1000 mw
frequency-20hz-20000 hz

Does it say anything about db?
I am asking this because I am using headphone for voice chat and voip...and I want to make sure I am not damaging my ears...

Is there any way/software to measure volume in DB?

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sensitivity-105 db/mw
impedance-32 ohz
power export - 1000 mw
frequency-20hz-20000 hz

I am asking this because I am using headphone for voice chat and voip...and I want to make sure I am not damaging my ears...

I think most people here, me included, use a sound level meter (real name?) similar to this one:
RadioShack Sound Pressure Level Meter

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by vikas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sensitivity-105 db/mw
impedance-32 ohz
power export - 1000 mw
frequency-20hz-20000 hz

The dB that a headphone will operate at will go up expontentially compared to the volume setting that you set the phones to. If you really want to be able to measure the dB of the sound being transmitted by the drivers, by all means buy an SPL meter from Radio Shack or other places on line. However, if the only reason you want to make the measurement is to keep the dB low enough that you don't damage your hearing, save a bit of money and just make a rational decision as to how high the headphones are playing. The higher volume they are at, the more likely you are to damage your hearing depending on how long you keep them on. Seeing as you've stated that the headphones are going to be used for voice chat and VOIP, I wouldn't expect that you would need them to be at a volume high enough to do damage to your hearing, but then I'm not sure about the environment that you are doing this in, or the type of headphones you are using.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi,
I have a question on this topic also,
II am now listening on my hd600's and iems also and turn the volume to where I feel it sounds good but I can't tell if I am blowing out my ears or not, somehow I can't feel where I need to stop turning and to be safe I turn it lower than I would but I am affraid I am damaging my ears and it seems I have hiss permanent also when I am not listening,
Strangely enough it gets more apearent when I am writing this post or think about if I am doing okay,
Can I buy a level meter and hold it up to the headphones while playing music to find out or does it not work that way,
Ps. Are items also measurable with such a device?
Also I am Using my new x3 now and A5,
And Will a app and android phone give a bit of a ballpark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back