How to make this setup work?
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Inebrians

New Head-Fier
Hello, first thing right away is that I dont even know if this setup makes any sense and sorry if its in the wrong section of the forum.

I would like to use my dac/amp to feed my speakers no matter the source, mostly the dac really.

So the speakers will play the TV itself and the PC - connected with HDMI to the TV.

I attached images of their conections, but in any case the hardware is:

-Klipsch r15pm
-CambridgeAudio dacmagic100
-Fiio e09k
Screenshot_20210908-092302_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-111855_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20210908-092351_Firefox.jpg

The tv has toslink and hdmi arc.

Question is, if this does make any sense and is possible, how would I route the cables and wich ones will I need?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 4
Hello, first thing right away is that I dont even know if this setup makes any sense and sorry if its in the wrong section of the forum.

I would like to use my dac/amp to feed my speakers no matter the source, mostly the dac really.

So the speakers will play the TV itself and the PC - connected with HDMI to the TV.

I attached images of their conections, but in any case the hardware is:

-Klipsch r15pm
-CambridgeAudio dacmagic100
-Fiio e09k

1. The HDTV needs to have an SPDIF output that works with all of its HDMI inputs.

2. You hook up the PC via USB so you will not need to switch on the HDTV to get the signal to the DAC, then just manually switch
Note:
a. You can just run USB from the PC if you don't have anything else sending video to the HDTV like a cable box or a Chromecast
b. Either way, if you encounter desynced audio vs video, it'll depend on whether your video player software (as with PowerDVD before) or motherboard/soundcard audio suite or your graphics card (if this is where you're sending HDMI to the HDTV from) has a fix. Ditto on the HDTV, maybe, but obviously this will only work for when you're using the signal from the HDTV's SPDIF output.
c. Personally, as long as you have video running off the PC, just manually switch to HDMI audio on the PC.
d. Oh and uh...yeah this will involve manually selecting the audio output device on the PC.
e. Make sure the HDTV's SPDIF output is set to stereo, not surround; and make sure the video is running 2.0 too on the disc player or streaming app

3. If your HDTV doesn't have an SPDIF output, you can still hook up the PC via USB, but you also won't get any other sources other than through the PC, so no cable box etc. When you play video from the PC A/V sync fixes on the HDTV might not work.

Sep 8, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 4
1. The HDTV needs to have an SPDIF output that works with all of its HDMI inputs.

2. You hook up the PC via USB so you will not need to switch on the HDTV to get the signal to the DAC, then just manually switch
Note:
a. You can just run USB from the PC if you don't have anything else sending video to the HDTV like a cable box or a Chromecast
b. Either way, if you encounter desynced audio vs video, it'll depend on whether your video player software (as with PowerDVD before) or motherboard/soundcard audio suite or your graphics card (if this is where you're sending HDMI to the HDTV from) has a fix. Ditto on the HDTV, maybe, but obviously this will only work for when you're using the signal from the HDTV's SPDIF output.
c. Personally, as long as you have video running off the PC, just manually switch to HDMI audio on the PC.
d. Oh and uh...yeah this will involve manually selecting the audio output device on the PC.
e. Make sure the HDTV's SPDIF output is set to stereo, not surround; and make sure the video is running 2.0 too on the disc player or streaming app

3. If your HDTV doesn't have an SPDIF output, you can still hook up the PC via USB, but you also won't get any other sources other than through the PC, so no cable box etc. When you play video from the PC A/V sync fixes on the HDTV might not work.
What I do currently is, if I want to use the headphone on the PC I select the dac, if I want the PC sound to go out through the TV I select hdmi.
So the usb-out the DAC has is connected to the PC.

So basically I would still keep doing just that?

There is no other inputs sending video to the tv, just the hdmi from PC.

I would connect with spdif between the tv and speakers, and select HDMI on the PC and thats it?

Sorry if I misunderstood, kinda slow in the head.

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 4
What I do currently is, if I want to use the headphone on the PC I select the dac, if I want the PC sound to go out through the TV I select hdmi.
---
So basically I would still keep doing just that?

As long as the HDTV has an SPDIF output so you can hook it up to the DAC input.

So the usb-out the DAC has is connected to the PC.

The USB port on the DAC is a USB input.

The USB port in that application is the USB output.

Because the signal goes PC (out) ->->-> (in) DAC

There is no other inputs sending video to the tv, just the hdmi from PC.

I would connect with spdif between the tv and speakers, and select HDMI on the PC and thats it?

Sorry if I misunderstood, kinda slow in the head.

TV SPDIF output ->->-> SPDIF input DAC analogue output ->->-> analogue input on powered speakers or speaker amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back