How to make IEMs last ?
Feb 18, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
Simply put, the less often you use a pair, the longer it will last. So, if you rotate 3, and use them 1/3 of the time, then they will last "three times as long".

That's not really making them last now is it. It's using them less :)
They will still break after the same amount of time going by that logic, there's no advantage to using a single one and then buying a new, and then another new if that one breaks as well...

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 19
Simply put, the less often you use a pair, the longer it will last. So, if you rotate 3, and use them 1/3 of the time, then they will last "three times as long".
That's not really the case, since most modern products are designed to be replaced after certain amount of time, heavy usage on entry level IEMs is usually around 6 months to a year. heavy usage on products would make it more prominent to wear and tear, since you're closer to pushing the products to their limits.

With rotation though, it allows some cooling time and you are not pushing the products as hard, so they tend to last longer overall. I would say rotation between three IEMs can easily expand the life by about 1/3rd or a 1/4th , of course, the return diminishes as you add more IEMs to the mix.

It's just the way products are designed since the late 60s to early 70s, products will eventually break, but there are ways to maximize the usage from them.

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #18 of 19
my beater e2c's finally started wearing down with cracks in the wire jacket near the areas i put em over my ears. lasted me a solid 4 years and thousands of hours. sounds still good, but i know it's only a matter of time until the wires themselves break with the jacket cracked open. still contemplating if i want to repair them or "upgrade" them through shure repair.

in the mean time i picked up enty mc5's and i love em with some complys.

what are people's thoughts on sumajin smartwraps? i got one for my entymotics and i find it extremely convenient to use, but i am wondering if the daily wrapping and unwrapping will cause the wires to get messed up quicker than just three finger wrapping it.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #19 of 19

Quote:
How does letting them rest help lifespan though? I mean, will rotating 3 pairs last you longer than 3x the lifetime of a single one?

I posted in the other gear advice thread for the actual headphones, the RE0 sounded like a pretty straightforward choice being ranked so high here on headfi...

In all honesty, don't worry about it man. People have IEMs that have lasted for years, and I mean with constant use. Sure it would benefit to use something else and switch it up; but I mean, do you have two computers that you switch to? Do you swap out your computer's HDD so it lasts longer?

These things also have similar life spans to that of IEMs but people don't swap those. You can ask people around here; they have headphones and IEMs (mostly ER4Ps for the length) that have been with them for years (over 5) and they don't have any problems.

If anything... the cable will give out before the drivers, if the IEM is of some quality anyway. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back