how to make earbuds sound clearer.
May 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

eladrian0396

New Head-Fier
I have always prefered ear-buds over earphones and headphones simply because of better fit and bass clarity. One trick I came up with to make most ear buds more clear is to remove the little grill covering the view from the outside to the driver. These little covers filter debree from entering the drivers but also filters some of the high frequency notes. I actually learned this when a pair of jvc marshmellows i had lost a great level of volume from one side and it was because it got clogged of ear wax. So i remove the little grill and noticed more clarrity right away. So it helps with clarrity and if your earbuds loose volume from one side only, it might just be clogged up.

May 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 4
If you remove that grill covering the bore from the driver, any debris like earwax will end up inside the earbud next to the driver. That's like not using an air filter in your car or PC case, and dust wil lend up in the combustion chamber or all over the PC parts inside. It will be clearer now, but give it a few months, and when it isn't clear anymore, you can't fix it without opening up the earbud.

Isn't it more sensible to just wipe the grill after every use? That's what  I do, even if I don't see anything on it.

May 11, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 4
I've done it to every set of earbuds i bough right out of the box and never had a problem. And i live in the desert so i know how bad dirt is. But my earbuds never leave my pockets or ears although my bad luck with all the earbuds i have had has always been the conector messing up and having false contact.

May 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 4
I've done it to every set of earbuds i bough right out of the box and never had a problem. And i live in the desert so i know how bad dirt is. But my earbuds never leave my pockets or ears although my bad luck with all the earbuds i have had has always been the conector messing up and having false contact.

I wasn't talking about dirt. You had to scrape ear wax off the filter, imagine where that ear wax will end up without the filter blocking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back