how to make donut foamies for earbuds?
Nov 3, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i cant get the foamie into the paper hole punch being the main problem. its sitting on my desk,

as for the minibox E, i couldnt be happier, battry life is soso, but this comming from the pa2v2 which lasted 100hours on a charge.
the amp sounds wonderful, its balanced, detailed and, even makes the ksc75's sound magical.

Wow, can't wait to get mine.

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, Head-Direct just informed me that those of us who ordered the MiniBox-E when they were on backorder will be getting the new MiniBox-E+ instead, which the site says has 60-hour battery life (a 100 percent rated increase). They also cost $169, a $20 bump. So that's good. Nothing else has changed in the amp, based on the specs.

Wow, this is awesome if it is true!! I just got a shipment notice yesterday, so hopefully I will have my new Minibox-E+ in a few days!

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 28
wow so lucky... double battery life would be amazing

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by limathy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mikey, thanks sounds interesting. ummm if its not too much trouble could you post a pic or 2 in the process? i'm trying really hard 2 visualise what you mean (in terms of the cutting part after u gather the foamie around the chopstick)

thanks.

with the paper punch, how did you all get the foamie into the space to holepunch? i find it far too tight to squeeze it in

hello,
i could post a pic of the process if i had some uncut foamies to work with.
lets see if this helps:
gathering the foamie around the chopstick - visualise putting on a sock on your foot - the opening of the sock being akin to the hole facing up.
gathering the foamie around the chopstick - akin to pulling the sock up over your foot and ankle and so forth.
where your toes are after you put on the sock is where you make the cut - not on your toes but the chopstick
icon10.gif

hope you get the picture now. let me know if not and i will try to get some uncut foamies and snap the process.
cheers

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #20 of 28
i think i got that chop stick thing to work, seems to do the job nicely, and once its on you cant see the ugly little hole i made :p

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #21 of 28
One can do the same thing with a plastic drinking straw as with a chopstick. Only, with the drinking straw you can actually cut the tip of the straw off through the foamie and it will result in a perfect hole-- try it!

Rick

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by aych /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are the differences between using these donut foamies compared to the standard sillicone rubber plugs?

The PKs don't use silicone rubber plugs. Are you talking about tips like the ones on the CX300s? These are ear buds we are talking about, which have soft covers, and the donut means you cut a hole in the side that goes into your ear.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by daonesteven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does this method really increase the SQ of my yuin pk3's? I just use the regular foamies that it came with, maybe I'll try this out but once I do there's no going back since it only came with one pair ><

For me, the donuts sound better than the full pads, but others feel differently. To test, you can get a dozen ear bud pads on ebay for $3 shipped.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by daonesteven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does this method really increase the SQ of my yuin pk3's? I just use the regular foamies that it came with, maybe I'll try this out but once I do there's no going back since it only came with one pair ><

The one pair of foamies that you have probably won't last a very long time and you'll need to get replacements eventually. The donut foamies on the PK3 didn't make a huge difference in the SQ but I do think it helped to open up the mid and high ranges a bit.

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #28 of 28
I use them on my Gumys. I put a "normal" fomie on and it really brings out the bass. However, it seems to limit the mids and highs. With the donut, it helps with bass but doesn't affect mids and highs so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back