How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Sep 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #916 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tordenskjold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
---ANGRY RANT WARNING---

Ok, I am apparently too clumsy/stupid/frustrated to make a **** interconnect. I fumbled around trying to fit these *** wires in the even more ***-up plug. I used neutrik 231 mini connectors like these:

img.php

and a microphone cable with 2 wires and copper shielding which i intended to use as ground pole on the connectors. then I went after the manual on page 1, and after about 30 minutes the damn wires were finally in these microscopic holes. Another 30 minutes and several burned fingers later the little bastards were in place. aleeve over them, screwng up the housing of the plug and a bit of heat-shrink, repeat on the other end in about the same time... the great moment: I plugged it in and... heavy noises, one channel went missing and reappeared when i turned the wire, bent the wire, and whatnot. --> DAMN. Ok, must have done it wrong - everything out again and anew...

I did the whole process for about 3 times before firing the destroyed cable in the bin and putting the plugs away for later use. I even tried different cable, three single wires from an old adapter (cinch --> 3,5mm like above) and again the same process. With the same results.

ATM I use a 75cm cable to connect my DAP to my amp and that sucks - so what now? The worst thing: when I twisted the small interconnect the right way, it sounded way better then the blasted 75cm crappy cable I am using right now!

smilie_wall1.gif

Practice makes perfect.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #917 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by specto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Practice makes perfect.
bigsmile_face.gif

Too late, found one in 30cm length and it´s better than anything i could ever build.

181858.jpg

it´s even cheaper to buy then two neutrik plugs and the wire together.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #919 of 1,012
can anyone tell me where i can buy either 3:1 or 4:1 adhesive walled heat shrink? i usually get my stuff at wirecare but they only care adhesive shrink in 2:1

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #921 of 1,012
I want to start making interconnects and i was wondering what i should start with.

I'm thinking of getting some
2:1 Heatshrink Tubing
Multifilament Braided Nylon Sleeving

Tecnec 1/8" stereo plug
-or-
Canare F-12

The RCA connector's i'm either going to use some i found on an unused cable or order some(i wouldn't mind some cheap recommendations)

I have some cable i snagged from my brother's Cable Recycling bin(he's an electrician) that's very similar to starquad except the wires are colored(not just white and blue)

If you guys want i can post pictures of my available materials.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #922 of 1,012
I'm planning to make a mini-rca cable using these parts, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Switchcraft 35HDBAU 3.5 Stereo Phone Plug
Neutrik NYS352G Male RCA
Nylon Expandable Cable Sleeve<br />
[url="http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=688&bc=no]Cardas TE Solder 10 Gram Pack[/url]

I already have a 3/16" cable i nabbed from my brother's cable recycling bin(he's an electrician)

Also, would it be better to splice a new mini plug on my UE Super.Fi 3's or to make my own cable?

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #923 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone tell me where i can buy either 3:1 or 4:1 adhesive walled heat shrink? i usually get my stuff at wirecare but they only care adhesive shrink in 2:1

DigiKey or Mouser. I believe both sell adhesive 3:1 and 4:1. I'm more confident that DigiKey has it since I've ordered some, but I seem to recall Mouser had it also.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #924 of 1,012
I'm planning to make a LOD-mini and mini(female)-rca using these parts, opinions would be appreciated.

Neutrik NYS352G Male RCA <br />
[url="http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=837&bc=no] Neutrik NYS240BG 3.5 Stereo Female Mini plug [/url]
5 Feet of Legenburg MCRPC 24 AWG
10 Feet of Nylon Expandable Cable Sleeve 3/16" Dia. Black
3 Feet of Nylon Expandable Cable Sleeve 3/8" Dia. Black<br />
[url="http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=688&bc=no] Cardas TE Solder 10 Gram Pack [/url]

Some cable i nabbed from my brother's Cable Recycle bin(he's an electrician)

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #925 of 1,012
I'm planning to make a LOD-mini and mini(female)-rca using these parts, opinions would be appreciated.

Neutrik NYS352G Male RCA <br />
[url="http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=837&bc=no] Neutrik NYS240BG 3.5 Stereo Female Mini plug [/url]
5 Feet of Legenburg MCRPC 24 AWG
10 Feet of Nylon Expandable Cable Sleeve 3/16" Dia. Black
3 Feet of Nylon Expandable Cable Sleeve 3/8" Dia. Black
Cardas TE Solder 10 Gram Pack
And some cable i nabbed from my brother's Cable Recycle bin(he's an electrician)
The iPod dock connectors I'm purchasing from Qables

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #926 of 1,012
I'm thinking of building a replacement cable for my Sennheiser HD 600s.

For the parts I saw some suggestions on using the Mogami 2534 which are inexpensive compared to the Cardas 4x24 cables. I also found the Cardas plug being sold on eBay so I will go with those.

On those cardas connectors you are supposed to fill it with hot glue after soldering. I don't have a hot glue gun...would heat shrink alone provide sufficient strain relief? Maybe filling it with some other adhesive like super glue?

Cardas HPSC Plugs for DIY Sennheiser Headphone Cables - eBay (item 250506859969 end time Oct-30-09 14:54:39 PDT)

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #928 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Epoxy will work very well as well.

Of course, test the cable before heatshrinking and gluing and such..

Ok, cool.

So here's the part list I came up with:

6 ft Mogami W2534

Neutrik X-Series 1/4

4' PVC Heat Shrink Tubing- 3/8in Diameter - Black

4' Flexible PVC Heat Shrink Tubing 1/4-Inch Diameter - Black and Red

Does that list look ok? I'm going to use the 1/4 heat shrink for the L and R parts after the Y split. Would 3/16 be better here?

3/8 would be for the Y split.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #930 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PVC heatshrink is nasty stuff, get yourself some Polyolefin heatshrink. Finished product is much nicer.

I actually ended up ordering from Redco instead and bought this heatshrink tubing. I'm not sure if they are PVC or Polyolefin though as it doesn't say. If they are PVC I *think* I can source some Polyolefin locally from Fry's Electornics though, I'll have to check.

Redco Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back