How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Sep 5, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #901 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubbberDucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh ok. You probably want to check out the Nylon sleeving like I was talking about, it feels more like a fabric, rather than a plastic, which I am assuming Techflex feels like. It appears that he just used the nylon sleeving and heatshrinked, or something similar to it, the wires at the Y after stripping off their outer casing of course.

Yes I'll definately buy the one you suggested, what size would I need for the mini Starquad?

I heard something about shrink tape, simply applying it and it shrinks without the need to heat up which I might look into it. The Y section still might need one of the ones I linked too, I might even add an extra bit of tubing.

Sleeving after the Y does look stunning but I don't think it would work in this instance, I'm planning to recable a Sony XB500 and I'd like to re-use there sleeving.. as seen here (the bit the wire goes into before the headphone):

xb500.jpg

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #903 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I built my modded 780's I used the Sony XB500 as the housing (felt it was more stable than the stock 780 chassis). You can recable and reuse the Grommets or strain relief, but its a pain to push wire through it because they are designed for flat wire.

You put your HFI-780 speakers in the XB500 housing... as in you did a total transplant, comfy sony ear-cushions to boot? If I understand you correctly and the operation was a success how did it sound? ... did you then put the XB500 speakers in the Ultrasone chassis?

Regarding reuse of the grommets (which I referred too as sleeving) it looks like I can just squeeze it and fit a round shape cable through no problem, there is a plastic cap on the inside that I can just pop off... at least that's how it looks.

Sep 5, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #904 of 1,012
I actually didn't use the XB pads, I ended up using a smaller set of pads from another pair of headphones (pleather pads). I wound up using the XB pads on my grado BS1000 mod to help with the grado's lower end response and bass impact. The xb500 drivers are currently lying somewhere in my parts box, I wasn't overly impressed with them, but I'll probably put them in something later on.

The XB pads with the ultrasone drivers still gave you a very "closed in effect" I prefer the open sound that you get from grados and other open headphones. I feel that a well designed closed headphone (eg the d2000's) can come close to that open sound, and the 780 drivers + pleather pads and the sony chassis was a good combination. The only downside is that the XB housing allows the drivers to rotate up and down. It might be a bit confusing, but look at your xb500's, and try moving the drivers, you'll notice that they rotate on a different axis versus the RX700's, or sennheisers.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #905 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I'll definately buy the one you suggested, what size would I need for the mini Starquad?

I am honestly not sure, I purchased mine from someone on the forums helping me get started. It would be ok so go a little too big though, it fits pretty tightly if you pull it over the cord. Try to find out what size Techflex someone would put on Starquad mini, I am sure the sizes run the same.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #906 of 1,012
Is there one online vendor where you can get quad star cable, both RCA and 1/8th in connectors and nylon techflex with reasonable prices? I have found everything I want but its scattered all over the net.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #908 of 1,012
I wish headphones makers would also make special adapters that out to mini for each headphone set they make, I hate the 10 ft cord lunacy. Rather than cutting the cord, I wish Sennheiser would just make a universal adapter you can use, and get your own cord to plug into that, standard mini to whatever you want. :[

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #911 of 1,012
I'm assuming that this tutorial is so that you can actually get an rca output on your headphones?

So I'm wondering how it'd be possible for me to do this, or if anyone had did this with Sony MDR-V700's, I'm about to stop using mines, but I'd LOVE if I can use a thinner cable and less longer for them, because god darn is the cable long on them, and very annoying and tangly!

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #913 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great, thanks for sharing! I've never heard or seen heatshrink until now.

No problem. eBay is sometimes cheap for heatshrink or you can order from Cableorganizer/Wirecare.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #915 of 1,012
---ANGRY RANT WARNING---

Ok, I am apparently too clumsy/stupid/frustrated to make a **** interconnect. I fumbled around trying to fit these *** wires in the even more ***-up plug. I used neutrik 231 mini connectors like these:

img.php

and a microphone cable with 2 wires and copper shielding which i intended to use as ground pole on the connectors. then I went after the manual on page 1, and after about 30 minutes the damn wires were finally in these microscopic holes. Another 30 minutes and several burned fingers later the little bastards were in place. aleeve over them, screwng up the housing of the plug and a bit of heat-shrink, repeat on the other end in about the same time... the great moment: I plugged it in and... heavy noises, one channel went missing and reappeared when i turned the wire, bent the wire, and whatnot. --> DAMN. Ok, must have done it wrong - everything out again and anew...

I did the whole process for about 3 times before firing the destroyed cable in the bin and putting the plugs away for later use. I even tried different cable, three single wires from an old adapter (cinch --> 3,5mm like above) and again the same process. With the same results.

ATM I use a 75cm cable to connect my DAP to my amp and that sucks - so what now? The worst thing: when I twisted the small interconnect the right way, it sounded way better then the blasted 75cm crappy cable I am using right now!

smilie_wall1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back