how to make a LOD which pins are what?
May 25, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by blippster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming you're refering to the iPod LOD, you may find this useful
Apple iPod dock interface pinout and signals @ pinouts.ru

Take note of the orientation, from the side that goes into the iPod, pin 1 is the left most, but from behind it's the extreme right.

cheers dude. Just finished making my LOD with some high quality Mic cable and a switch craft 3.5mm jack. Came out perfect. Was really fidly soldering the tiny pins though. I got a slimline LOD connector so they really were tiny, prob .5mm wide and .5mm spacing.... Cut a grove in the insilation of the cord and the LOD acts as it's own tensioner so the cord won't pull on the solder... can't believe it worked first time!!!!

Made a mini to mini with switch craft too..

I also made a 10ft braded 3.5mini to twin mono 1/4" jacks for some active speakers... looks pretty good but the shrink wrap on the leads messed up :frowning2:

I'll have to post pics. first attempt at making leads, and first time soldering too, think I must have nack!!

May 26, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah.

I always use a pice of paper when soldering those pins to separate them, just in case
wink.gif

If working with pre-made cable, I suggest soldering the mini plug first and finishing that nicely. Then move to the connector.

If braiding your own cable, do the opposite to get a nice braid all the way through.

May 26, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.

I always use a pice of paper when soldering those pins to separate them, just in case
wink.gif

If working with pre-made cable, I suggest soldering the mini plug first and finishing that nicely. Then move to the connector.

If braiding your own cable, do the opposite to get a nice braid all the way through.

Good tip, thanks. Resorted to plucking the pins out in order to solder them without bridging
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back