How To Make A Cat 5e RCA to Mini
Jun 8, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Khuz360

New Head-Fier
Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of how to make a RCA to mini jack cable using cat5e cables. I have some idea but Id like to be sure that I know what is involved in making it and that I dont make any mistakes

Thanks in advance

Peace

Jun 8, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 11
There's a thread all about making interconnects in this very subforum. =)

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 11
I'd assume it'd be just like making it out of any other cables =P

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 11
4 pairs of twisted 24awg wires in Cat5e, therefore two pairs will go to your two mono signals for RCA, and the other two for ground. As a result, you mini jack will have two twisted pairs for L/R signals and the remaining two pairs for ground.

Brendan

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
8 pairs of twisted 24awg wires in Cat5e, therefore two pairs will go to your two mono signals for RCA, and the other two for ground. As a result, you mini jack will have two twisted pairs for L/R signals and the remaining two pairs for ground.

Brendan

Sorry to be nit-picking, you've got a typo, it is 4 pairs of twisted wires.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Thats awesome thank you all for the assistance will be posting pics up of the cables when i get chance to make and finish them which will probably take a while because I have so much work
frown.gif
but I will get them done

Peace

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Another question what connectors would you recommend I use for this particular project I would like them to be the best.

By the way I plan to use 6 CAT6 cables to build this thing.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Is cat5 or cat6 a good wire to make interconnects out of? If it is I will make a lot of them since they are so cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back