How to maintain VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine?
Oct 6, 2008 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a used VPI 16.5 RCM off e-bay and I'm enjoying the benefits of clean records. I am, however, wondering where the waste fluids are going. This unit was originally a HW-16 that was upgraded by the previous owner to a 16.5 (not sure if that matters or not).

The instruction manual available on the VPI site refers to some kind of hose assembly to use in draining used fluid, but my unit has no visible hose and no port on which to attach one. I assume the fluid is just accumulating in the reservoir below the vacuum pickup tube assembly. Is it possible to pump the waste fluid out through the port where the vacuum pickup tube assembly goes? Or, is this a "non-problem" that I should stop worrying about?

Thanks. Oh, and by the way: this thing sounds like a jet aircraft on takeoff.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, there should be a hose that sticks out the back, near the power cord. Stock cleaners have a clear hose with a clamp on the end. After cleaning about 6 albums (12 sides) you unclamp the hose, tilt the unit back, and drain the dirty fluid. If you're not seeing a hose, then there has to be a drain hole somewhere. Don't keep cleaning albums without draining the dirty fluid, or you might flood the vacuum motor assembly!

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 6
Well that sucks, because there definitely is no hose and I see no place to attach one. I suppose I'll have to take the thing apart and try and figureout what's up. Thanks.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 6
I contacted the guy I bought it from, who told me he had always wondered the same thing because this unit has no drain hose. VPI told him that the early units were sealed, and do not use a drain hose. Apparetly, they just seal the chamber with some kind of polyurethane and put a sponge in there to soak up any excess waste. They said it is possible to take the bottom off and clean it and reseal, replacing the sponge. They also said it's probably not necessary.

Go figure.

Oct 8, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 6
I have an early 16.5 to and have cleaned hundreds of records with it without a problem. Get a kitchen sponge and put it in the container, replace the wand and put it to use. My motor over heats pretty easy but otherwise it is a great unit. I recommend a set of ear plugs if you are going to clean for very long. The most I've been able to handle in a day is around 50.

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Wow, that is strange that it is sealed. I suppose the motor creates enough heat to cause the fluids to evaporate.

On my unit, I must say it is always satisfying to drain the fluid at the end of a session and see how dirty it is. I'm always surprised just how dirty vinyl gets.

Well, enjoy the sound of clean vinyl. Your stylus is thanking you.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back