How to lower gain of amp for headphones?
Jan 13, 2007 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dave-the-rave

1000+ Head-Fier
I did a search on this topic and whilst there was some discussion, I really couldn't make sense of it; I hope those in the know can help me out.

I am auditioning a fellow head-fier's GreaTech muvac amp, which is a 1 watt/channel amp with a separate power supply and speaker terminals. In order to use cans with it, a "headphone adapter" is available and in my possession. The adapter is a female mini-plug with four wires coming out of it that get inserted into the speaker terminals in a specified pattern. Mission accomplished there. Then I plugged my Sennheiser mini to 1/4" adapter into the GreaTech adapter and we're in business.

The problem is my cans are Sony R10's, whose impedance, I believe, is 32 ohms. (I don't know the output impedance of the GreaTech.) When I listen via the GreaTech, the volume is very high with very little movement of the volume knob. Is there a way to put resistors or resistance into the adapter sequence so as to lower the gain of the amp and allow more travel of the volume knob? If the answer is "Yes," please be specific as to what I should be looking for at Radio Shack, etc.

Thanks Head-fiers; fire away.
blink.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 8
i think the amp that you mentioned above is most likely a power amp which is not suitable for headphone using. yes, u can use a adaptor to lower down the volume. however, the main problem is about the noise. because the headphone is more sensertive and works with lower level of singal. the relatively higher level of noise of power amp will become noticeable on the headphone. if u insist to use this amp on your headphone, the best way to reduce the gain is to increase the value of the resistor which connects the inverting input of the amp and ground or just simply take away this resistor to make the amp no gain at all like a current follower. hope this can help

Jan 13, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 8
I think what you are looking for is a sound level attenuator. Male plug on one end, female on the other. It will add resistance to your set up. I think radio shak's got them.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 8
You can use an Oehlbeck 120 ohm adapter for this purpose. I have to do that when I use my E500s with my Larocco PRII. You can get them from Jan Meier, and probaly other places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back