How to listen to bad recordings.
Mar 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

potatoos

100+ Head-Fier
As the tile implies, I am curious as to how others listen to bad recordings. Sometimes, you can't get a better quality recording.

I recently got into The Velvet Underground, and their recordings are pretty bad, but the music is amazing. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to best listen to these bad recordings.

Currently using Rockboxed Clip+ --> modded Superlux HD62F
These have quite a lot of detail in the play back, so my first thought was to use headphones with less emphasis on details.

Thoughts?

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't know about bad recordings, because it depends on why they're bad. But with pre HiFi recordings (roughly before 1950) the midrange frequency response can make all the difference. An imbalanced response in the upper mids can make a record sound harsh or muffled, and too much or too little in the middle can make it sound strident or wimpy. Mono recordings sound fantastic with carefully balanced speakers.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 7
The loudness only affects a loss of dynamics.  You can have a brickwalled mastering, but still have a good recording, and the HD600s will still make it sound good.  Radiohead's albums are brickwalled to an extent-- especially In Rainbows, but they still sound good.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 7
You could always listen to better music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back