how to learn to work on cars and houses ans stuff
Apr 29, 2010 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
so i want to become independant. i'll be buying a small class C rv which basically is your very standard big-block v8 american engine, with a very standard, probably 3 speed, tranny

of course there will be lots of other issues; i'll probably be buying a car with 40k miles, but has been sitting for 10 years. so new suspension, all new hoses, belts etc. etc. anything that can degrade, plus new lube on everything. i plan on spending 6months maybe learning how to fix the thing, and fixing what needs to be fixed, before i take off

i'll also be doing everything i can to work on this new house my mom bought. i want to pay her back for all she's done for me with some good ole fashioned "sweat equity".

so what i'm asking is:

............what books, videos etc. etc. should i read or watch to learn how to do this stuff. any advice will help; i'm sure i'll piece together advice from the internet, books, and all sorts of **** but i'd just really like as much advice as possible

thanks my folks

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 7
also, any suggestions on a kickass wifi antenna for the roof and a kickass tv antenna for the dam?????? course the tv could wait

also, what's the best cellphone and company for 3g and tethering. i'm thinking verizon with an android phone and pdanet..................whatdaya think?????? i will have a little screen up front , attached to my carputer...........not for gps, the android phone with google maps will handle that, but for netstumbler mainly. i'll have a kickass wifi antenna on the roof, attached to my pc, and then i'll drive around looking for open networks and when found that's where i'll park. when i talked about this on netstumbler forums i got an earful about how wrong this is. i game it back to them by saying '****??? do you guys just do tis "wardriving" for fun? i mean c'mon that's the stupidist ****ing thing ever). and i'll also have that little screen on a swivel so i can watch films or whatever from either front seat. one way or another i'll be using so many power tools and custom **** on this RV it's gonna be the palace of awesome, i just have to keep in mind the time-honored tradition of the road hook-up and i must be prepared for such. any dude friends i meet can sit on the floor for all i care

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Wifi-link has a good selection of antennas. Or, since you want to be a handyman, you can make your own beastly antenna.

Verizon offers free cellular tethering with the Palm Pre Plus. WebOS is a great phone OS too. HP just bought Palm so the uncertainty of continued support is dispelled.

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 7
If you root your android phone on verizon there is very good wifi and also wired tethering via usb (lower power draw) available.

May 5, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 7
Look up your local community college. Many of them will have an ATEC or auto shop program, and some of those will also have a 'projects' class, where you have access to their shop and tools as well as a teacher or two and a TA for giving you a hand with the learning process. Worth a look, especially if you plan on doing a lot of backlogged preventative maintenance on this motorhome of yours.

May 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 7
wow, that is a damned fantastic idea. thank you so much! please understand that i really do need this info and that your help is really wonderful. thank you! anything i can do for you? paypal you a buck or two? help you with something?

May 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wifi-link has a good selection of antennas. Or, since you want to be a handyman, you can make your own beastly antenna.

Verizon offers free cellular tethering with the Palm Pre Plus. WebOS is a great phone OS too. HP just bought Palm so the uncertainty of continued support is dispelled.

i felt that the doom of the palm pre was spelled out from the very beginning. i mean jesus, the competition is just too damn fierce. if it had bee a few years ago, and they were going up against the treos and waht-not than ****, they'd be kicking ass. but it's too little too late. they walked right into the iphone, which is basically god, and then android, which is basically the holy spirit; it's open source, it's made be google (oh, and when was the last time google bumbled something?????????????????........................ .................................................. .................................................. ..??????????????????????????????.................. ..uh keep thinking, i am...............uhhhh...................yeah, that's right, ****ing never. i'm using google chrome right now and i really don't like it so much. too stripped down, i'm a firefox man, and the add-ons like cool previiews (bros, if you have firefox, and don't have cool previews, you're missing out my man, it kicks ****ing ass; also, all the other-addons like the onss that block crap and what-not are awesome. only reason i'm using chome right now is cuz i have firefox setup to open all my last windows, and i have a ****ing ****load of them, and my laptop is old as ****, and in desperate need of a new reinstall of windows xp (my basic thinking on windows, at least xp, haven't gotten to win7 yet, but don't have hope for much better, is that you have to do a complete whipe and re-install at least every year, every six months is better. this damn OS just gets filled with so much ****

........godddammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm digressing my ass off again. so sorry soorrry sorry...........anyone read "catcher in the rye" well, anyway, you only need to read the first chapter or two............there's a public speaking class that people yell out "digression!!!!!!!!!!" when someone gets off topic. i need something like that

btw: i wanna bring back the chat room. can we have a headfi one???? it would be dope-u-licious; all you wonderful minds

.............i'll definitely check my community colleges. then i won't have to learn just from a book or two; i could definitely use the teacher doing some teaching.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back