How to know when your stylus/cartridge needs replacing?
Dec 11, 2007 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

drk

Head-Fier
I have a rega elys cartridge on a rega p3-24 TT. the thing is - how do i know when i need to replace the cartridge if everything is sounding fine? i've read that chipped and/or worn styluses can damage your vinyls, so that freaked me out a bit.

i have also recently done quite a few not so gentle things to my stylus such as pushing it a bit too much when cleaning it with a (dry) brush (to the left, so it moved to the left, and returned of course), dropped it a bit too harsh on my record awhile ago, it also had a few runs through vinyls in not the greatest state. so, it plays fine, looks fine, and so on, but how can i generally know if my stylus is chipped or worn and needs replacing?

also, what is the average lifetime of a cartridge/stylus of this quality?

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look under a microscope and see there is any wear. the wear looks like polished surface

microscope? i don't have a microscope, and even if i did, i don't know how i'd look at the stylus through it...

and when you say "polished surface"...i'm really not sure what you mean. the stylus is really smooth (polished) when it's new...

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 5
thanks for that link very much dude
smily_headphones1.gif
, that's very helpful, now i know what i should be looking after.

cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back