How to Kill Your FIIO BTR7
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ipaddy

human bean
I've enjoyed my BTR7 for over a year.

Recently, I learned that it might be good to update the firmware of the BTR7. I dutifully went to the FIIO website, and there it instructed me to load the FIIO Control App on my iphone and connect to the BTR7.

I did so, and the app told me that 1.95 was now available and it would update the firmware. Wow! I didn't even have to push any buttons to get the update.

So it spent about 7 minutes updating the firmware. And now my BTR7 is dead, frozen at a screen showing something in Chinese. It will go off, and if I turn it on, it's back to this screen. That's all.

There went $200. Anyone have any suggestions?

Update: After several sessions of on-off, each time coming back to this screen, just for the hell of it I followed instructions FIIO gave for removing pairing information. This time, after the reboot, it came up asking me if I wanted to stay in Chinese or go to English (It was always English before). I chose English, and it rebooted normally.

I'm leaving this up in case someone else also has a heart attack updating the firmware.

2nd Update: I am now thinking that the image in the picture is not a frozen unit, but the device also saying "pairing" in Chinese. Why on earth would installing a firmware update change the language, and why did I have to do the pairing change to get the language change?

Attachments

• BTR7-dead.jpg
    BTR7-dead.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm guessing the BTR7 operating system's default language is Chinese so updating the firmware had reset yours back to default. I think I had the same experience when I first got it, but I had the app installed and updated the firmware right away.

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 3
I'm guessing the BTR7 operating system's default language is Chinese so updating the firmware had reset yours back to default. I think I had the same experience when I first got it, but I had the app installed and updated the firmware right away.
It seems poor programming to not recognize the current language when updating firmware, and just make it Chinese. But if you are going to do that, at least for god's sake tell the user and include simple instructions to change it back to English.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back