How to judge a good portable DAC/Amp
Jul 12, 2017 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

k1282

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am new to the headphones topic and I am considering buying a good DAP for connecting high quality headphones to my music library on my Android Phone.

But I was wondering how I could actually judge the acoustic quality of a DAP?

My biggest concern is the following:
DAP manufacturers could trick me in hearing more detailed or crisp sound by just changing the sound signature (via setting up a different treble and bass setting than my phone's default settings). If this should be the case, I would need a DAP as I could go into my phone's equalizer settings and do the same.

Is my worry stupid?

Maybe you can share your experiences or approaches towarsds testing the quality of a DAP?

Regards
Kian

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 8
A Dap will have nothing to do with your phone. Dap is digital audio player. You might mean a Dac/Amp as that can use a phone or computer.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 8
It is one I have and recommend. The Oppo HA-2se is another I've heard that is good also and a bit cheaper also. The Mojo I think is better just another option the Mojo dac section can't bet beat for the money IMHO.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 8
I am new to the headphones topic and I am considering buying a good DAP for connecting high quality headphones to my music library on my Android Phone.

That would actually be a DAC-HPamp (Digital to Analogue Converter-Headphone Amplifier) and not a DAP (standalone Digital Audio Player).

But I was wondering how I could actually judge the acoustic quality of a DAP?

My biggest concern is the following:
DAP manufacturers could trick me in hearing more detailed or crisp sound by just changing the sound signature (via setting up a different treble and bass setting than my phone's default settings). If this should be the case, I would need a DAP as I could go into my phone's equalizer settings and do the same.

That or what it does is not EQ the signal at all, and any difference is due to the phone piling on distortion.

Easiest ways to know if you even need one: Check the sensitivity and impedance of your earphones/headphones, then look up any reviews that have measurements of the phone's analogue output performance when driving earphone/headphone loads. Safest bet is to check GSMArena reviews. If the GSMArena reviews state decent measurements and low (enough) output impedance, and your earphones have over 100dB/1mW sensitivity and well over 16ohms impedance, then you do not need anything else except an EQ app on the smartphone.

If neither are available, check by listening. Can you crank it up to deafening levels? If no, then you need a DAC-HPamp, if at least for more headroom, not necessarily listening at that volume all the time. If yes, pull back a bit - does it still sound good to you? If yes, then you don't need an amp. If no, try an EQ - look for response graphs of your headphone and try to get it to a flatter curve relative 1000hz (unless there's a peak at or near 1000hz). If EQ-ing doesn't help and/or boosting the bass easily results in the distortion, then you might need a DAC-HPamp, or a new earphone altogether.

Maybe you can share your experiences or approaches towarsds testing the quality of a DAP?

Use a headphone that cannot be driven well enough by a smartphone and then try several DAC-HPamps with it vs the smartphone.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Pic some of the songs you know the best and list both with and without the dac/amp. Try to pay attention to how instruments sound and not just the whole song itself and vocals also. Just take your time .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back