How to join the Stax Mafia (photo)
Sep 3, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, please send/post everything.
biggrin.gif

I'll look for some Toshiba or Matsu****a tubes and let you know if I find extras.

Here is one of the many PM's I've sent about this. It should be pretty complete but this covers only the 2 tube models, not the 007t.

Quote:

You use a normal multimeter set at DC voltage, the lowest voltage level (20volts or less). The amp is powered on when you do this with the new tubes inside. Never pull out tubes when amps are turned on. Only do so when the amp is disconnected from the wall. Leave the amp on for two hours so the new tubes can stabilize. You measure in the Stax plug on the front and here is a picture

stax_jack.jpg

First you measure between + and - on one channel and adjust TVR1 and then put the multimeter between + and the ground post at the back and adjust TVR2. Both are adjusted for zero. They pots are clearly marked on the PCB for each channel.

Be very careful inside the amp because there are some hundreds of volts floating around. I use a special screwdriver that is only bare metal at the very tip to adjust but plastic screwdrivers are also good. Below is the original instructions from head-fi posted by Kevin Gilmore in case I missed something:

Quote:

There are 2 pots per channel.

One of them is the differential pot, and you
put a voltmeter between The two output pins
and adjust for zero. I believe this pot is labeled TVR1
For left channel voltmeter goes between yellow and green
for right channel it is white and red

The other is the dc offset pot, you put a voltmeter
on either output pin and ground and adjust for zero.
I believe this pot is labeled TVR2. For left channel voltmeter
goes between yellow and ground, for right channel it is
white and ground.

You have to do this a number of times, and new tubes
drift like crazy.

It's always nice to buy some more tubes so please let me know if you find any extra.

Quote:

It's too bad the Stax Mafia does not exist. "Spritzer" is certainly well-suited to be a member of such an organization.
not_worthy.gif

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am a member...
rolleyes.gif

If there were a Stax mafia I think I would qualify as a member but you never know just how picky they are...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the stax mafia isn't very visible because they mostly only post in threads that include the word "stax" in the title. The stax mafia don't really care about comparing stax to dynamic headphones anymore, which is why they tend to shear off from the rest of head-fi fandom. They do maintain some field agents, though, a couple of whom have already posted in this thread.

That's us in a nutshell. No dynamic driver has ever impressed me (speaker or headphone) like a good electrostat goes every day so we are locked away from all of those evil magnets...
tongue.gif
We do poke our heads into the ortho discussion now and again so not all magnets are bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back