How to integrate power switch to input jack?
Jan 23, 2007 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Snaques

100+ Head-Fier
So can I implement the power switch with the input jack in my simple cmoy amp? I would like the amp to turn ON when the headphones are plugged in. I've seen these 5 pinned jacks, but I don't know quite how to use them to my purposes. There are also some plugs with even more pinns. Would that be the way to go? The plug should be a mini-plug and I use one 9V battery to run the amp.

Got any ideas?
blink.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 6
Jan 25, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 6
I use a jack with a built in DPDT switch. I bought them from www.bgmicro.com a while back so i'm not sure they are still in stock though.

the jack looks like a normal headphone jack, but it is a little longer and when the plug is inserted, the switch makes contact and the amp comes on.

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 6
That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I couldn't find one from that site you gave tho. Also, I'm from Finland so the company should have a distributor here like Farnell and RS have.

These isolated switching jacks that I'm looking for really seem to be hard to come by, damn
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 6
The problem with all the jacks I have found is that there is no easy way to mount these jacks in the case. They are all PCB mount jacks with no threaded barrel on them. Bioscience geek actually sent me some jacks though thathave a built in DPDT switch. Remember what you are looking for is a jack with an ISOLATED switch built in. Some of the ones they sell at Mouser are not isolated. (In other words the power section of the switch is actually touching the outputs to the headphones.) These switches are like that because they were not intedended to be used as power switches; they are used to turn off main speakers, say when you plug in your headphones.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 6
Yup, this is what I've found out as well. The world is full of those switching jacks for switching between outputs. If I only could find one with isolated pins
rolleyes.gif

The other solution would be using those regular switching jacks and some FET transistor to do the power switching. There are plenty of problems with that solution tho. My PCB is kinda full and there's no space for 5 extra components. Also, I'm not quite sure how to make such connection.

Now that I'm aware of these isolated jacks, I really can't see me building that FET solution 'cause there's so much easier way to do it. If I only could find those darn isolated jacks
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back