How to improve your memory?
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #16 of 26
I also found flash card is very useful, especially in the Q/A style, which makes you actively think about the answer, instead of reading the answer again and again passively...

Nov 23, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by frank99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also found flash card is very useful, especially in the Q/A style, which makes you actively think about the answer, instead of reading the answer again and again passively...

That sound like a good strategy. I've never wasted my time with rote memorization.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Play to your strengths:

1) I have a visual memory, so I try to get as much eye contact as possible. Since I have never created a flashcard in my life, this means seeing the definition next to the term in the book and using the location as a trigger for the memory. Only problem is that sometimes you know where on the page the answer is, but don't know the answer.

2) Be deliberate. Have you ever read an entire chapter and then thought to yourself "What the Hell did I just read?" You see the words, and subvocalize, without interpreting. Thus, instead of quickly tearing through a chapter, try to let each important fact sink in. This works for complicated concepts, but don't do it for the more tangential facts. In my experience, the less you focus on unimportant things, the more of them you will remember in the end. But if the material is difficult, focus hard.

3) Repetition. If you have a good routine, repeat it. Those tangential facts often make a large difference to a course grade, so you'll want to be exposed to the material at least several times. Still, if you are confused by the key concepts, don't dwell on the accessories.

4) Sleep never hurts. But I will tell you that if you can't sleep, drink one or two Red Bulls. There is no doubt that Red Bull sharpens your concentration, memory, creativity, and stamina. No, I do not work for Red Bull, but my roommate and I both (at Berkeley, so we're not full of s***) saved our asses with Red Bull. One time I pulled an all nighter before an Organic Chem final, so I needed two just to stay awake. It was as though I was just a detached observer, because my hand was writing answers that came seemingly from nowhere. I got a good grade, too.

5) Pretend you enjoy what you're doing. You think I genuinely enjoy anything I have to do for a grade? I dislike most everything, in fact. I have an innate disdain for most people, too. But I pretend to enjoy my fellow humans, and often get along nicely, or else I would never be successful. And if you pretend to enjoy studying, it might eventually become natural. There's a reason why some people have an encyclopedic knowledge of sports, but can't remember a single fact for a biology class.

Already doing 2,3, and 5; 4 whenever I get the opportunity. Red Bull is interesting I might try that (which kind? regular?) I will for sure take at least 1 red bull before one of my exams that I am doing P/F on
wink.gif

I do like the flashcard idea, particularly with Q/A style. Any flash card program I can get?

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #20 of 26
What exactly are you studying for? Is it something more concept or memory based and if it's more concept based, do you already have a pretty good grasp of it or are you just trying to cram as much into your brain as possible :p

To do well you might want to look back at the format of your midterms and play off that and try any practice midterms/finals available to you-- I know my professors leave a few on their sites for me.

But if it comes down to just memorizing for a final, (though I don't support this, it does work for me) I stay up and just cram the night before without sleeping and have everything fresh in my memory when the test comes around. I'm sure it's probably detrimental to go in without sleep, but it's how I've always done it and it works for me.

But if you really want to build your memory over time, my friend gave me "The Memory Book" by Harry Lorayne a few years back and it really does work. It details different ways to systematically remember things from numbers to foreign languages. If nothing else, I can at least remember long number sequences offhand (like phone numbers, credit card numbers, etc.)

Goodluck on your finals :]

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by solessthanthree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly are you studying for? Is it something more concept or memory based and if it's more concept based, do you already have a pretty good grasp of it or are you just trying to cram as much into your brain as possible :p

To do well you might want to look back at the format of your midterms and play off that and try any practice midterms/finals available to you-- I know my professors leave a few on their sites for me.

But if it comes down to just memorizing for a final, (though I don't support this, it does work for me) I stay up and just cram the night before without sleeping and have everything fresh in my memory when the test comes around. I'm sure it's probably detrimental to go in without sleep, but it's how I've always done it and it works for me.

But if you really want to build your memory over time, my friend gave me "The Memory Book" by Harry Lorayne a few years back and it really does work. It details different ways to systematically remember things from numbers to foreign languages. If nothing else, I can at least remember long number sequences offhand (like phone numbers, credit card numbers, etc.)

Goodluck on your finals :]

no mid-term just 1 exam for my course grade
wink.gif
requires both conceptual understanding and memory (final will be analysis based, but in order to do that I need to remember lots of info). I can do the analysis just fine just need to remember the stuff I need to do the analysis...

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no mid-term just 1 exam for my course grade
wink.gif
requires both conceptual understanding and memory (final will be analysis based, but in order to do that I need to remember lots of info). I can do the analysis just fine just need to remember the stuff I need to do the analysis...

Sounds like you're in good standing. Understanding the concepts is the most important part. You just need to read your materials over and over again (repetition, repetition, repetition!)

Maybe you should be spending more time with those books rather than here!
dt880smile.png

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 26
Other than what was mentioned already, the most effective way is to research human memory on topics such as photographic reading, speed reading, neuro associative conditioning, and photography. I don't need to tell you that listening to music is an effective method to cue and link in your ability to memorize a massive amount of information in a short period of time -- if your primary method of learning is auditory. Research Linguistics and the memory model on wikipedia (psychology related and computer too; why not).

Start simple and slow: choose to memorize something abstract in your current environment such as a familiar object that you've taken for granted. Take your most memorable photograph like a beloved family member during vacation, birthday, etc. Associate the two together 10 times. Test yourself 10 days later. For those that are auditory, do the same, but listen to your most favorite song on your Head-Fi gear which is a cut above everbody else's gear. Though such people are rarer, take your favorite food or drink and do the same for those that are taste driven. If you are driven by your sense of smell (olfactory), then do the same with your favorite smell (not drugs or alcohol idiots). Lastly, for those that are "motion based," move your body in your favorite dance sequence, karate technqiue, or sport activity while focusing on that familiar object. Drill it into your being.

Linguistics, memory model, psychology, informatics, computer information sciences, NLP, NAC, languages, exercise, film studies, head-fi, music junkies...hmmm.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #25 of 26
the memory book is good and I recommend it. Instant recall is another recommendation as well.

Books don't help you memorize things. Experiences that tie into your target information do. The more intense the experience, the more you remember it until it ingrains itself into your sub-conscious and your whole being.

Nov 28, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #26 of 26
Like someone said you could write a song and remember stuff like that but you could also try mind-mapping or the pegging method where you use your visual memory to remember things. For more info try this site Litemind it may teach you to 1. associate certain images with words 2. allow you to recall specific mindmaps on cue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back