How to improve the Senn PX100-II?
Jul 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

greendream

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. This is my first post, but I have been reading the forums here for a couple of weeks now (go procrastination!).

I recently got really frustrated with the terrible sound I was getting out of my ipod with some crummy MDR-V150 headphones so I bought the Sennheiser PX100-II (more or less based on my extremely fond memories of the previous model (PX 100)). These headphones are great, I'm really pleased with these, except I DO find that the bass is pretty dominating. I have given them a couple of weeks use, and although it has improved slightly, I still find myself missing out on the detail of some higher register guitar work and things like that. So onto my question!

A friend (and also some browsing of the forums here and elsewhere) suggested that changing the earpads might help to fix this situation. A bit of research seems to suggest the the big yellow HD414 pads might help to tame the bass a little, but I am not sure if this will work or not. Does anyone have any experience with this combo of cans and pads? Is any modification required and are there any trade offs? Any alternative pads to try?

And finally, they are So big and yellow! Can they be cut smaller (excess foam around the circumference) without sacrificing sound?

Anyway, thanking you in advance! And sorry if this has been covered already, but I have been looking around and apart from the suggestion that it could be done, I haven't found anyone actually talking about the effects of it!

Jul 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi, I also own PX100-II, but don't find bass to be dominating. I mean it's there and it's punchy, but all other sounds are perfectly noticable. You can make your phones a bit less bassy by changing earpads to the ones from PX100-I or CDRking, but I don't know where to find them... Also, you might wanna check this topic http://www.headphiles.org/index.php/topic,1203.0.html there are useful tips about upgrading pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back