How to improve the headphone output of Zen NX
Mar 9, 2004 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

goto2003

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have a Creative Zen NX 20G MP3 players. I wonder if you guys could shed me some lights on how to improve its headphone output performance, coz it has no line-out. It has a 30MW+30MW maximum output. I wonder if replacing some capacitors will work.

Thanks,

Simon

Mar 13, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 5
The only thing I can think of is to plug a decent quality headphone amp into the headphone out jack, and turn the volume on the zen to 10 or 15.

Mar 13, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 5
I believe the Zen's output is 50MW + 50MW for a total of 100 MW, not 60MW. I'd go amp as well if you have hard to drive headphones or one of those European versions that limit volume ( Although an early U.S firmware release would take care of that ).

I've got my eye on Dr. Xin's Superdual mini amp when it comes out. I think the size, the power, and the rechargeable battery of this small amp would complement the Zen if there are any limitations with output. The sooner it gets to being sold, I'm going to ask him if and how it can benefit the Zen which already has a powerful amp to begin with.

http://www.fixup.net/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Just a note on the EU-limited Zen Xtra's/Nx's. I'm in the UK and mine didn't arrive limited, but if your firmware version is suffixed with an "e" it means it's limited. There is however a way to get rid of this. Simply upgrading to a US firmware won't work, but if you go to rescue mode (press the reset button and hold down play) then choose "reload OS", making sure you have a US firmware on your PC it should wipe the EU OS and replace it with a non-limited US version. That's just what I've read from the creative newsgroup, and it apparently works - you may want to check the procedure before you go ahead and try this if it applies to you.

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for your nice repsonse. I think my Zen NX is US version. Sounds like a Xin's SuperDual is the final solution. Can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back