How to improve my setup, and add more bass impact to headphones
Nov 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all

So Im not very good when it comes to this sort of stuff, so please bare with me. I hope what I am trying to ask here comes across clearly.

Currently my setup is;
Playstation 4 (for blurays) with Linear PCM > HDMI cable to Samsung TV > Optical cable from TV into Burson Conductor SL > Audeze LCD-X
I have tried with the optical directly from PS4 to the Burson, however I notice audio delay for some reason. Having it via the tv, seems to reduce the issue.

With the LCD-X, I find I get great Bass Impact and rumble, when I crank the Bursons volume up. To achieve this impact and rumble, the volume has to be very loud, and I dont want to go damaging my ears.
What can I change or add in, to be able to control the impact and rumble of the bass, without having to increase the volume on the Burson to uncomfortable levels?
If by changing the PS4 to say an OPPO Bluray player, will I notice any improvements on sound quality? I am assuming the Burson takes over from whatever the OPPO has to offer? If I found a dedicated bluray player that had an inbuilt EQ, could I use this with the burson to perhaps affect the bass?

I hope someone can help,
:)

Nov 10, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #2 of 6
  Hi all

So Im not very good when it comes to this sort of stuff, so please bare with me. I hope what I am trying to ask here comes across clearly.

Currently my setup is;
Playstation 4 (for blurays) with Linear PCM > HDMI cable to Samsung TV > Optical cable from TV into Burson Conductor SL > Audeze LCD-X
I have tried with the optical directly from PS4 to the Burson, however I notice audio delay for some reason. Having it via the tv, seems to reduce the issue.

With the LCD-X, I find I get great Bass Impact and rumble, when I crank the Bursons volume up. To achieve this impact and rumble, the volume has to be very loud, and I dont want to go damaging my ears.
What can I change or add in, to be able to control the impact and rumble of the bass, without having to increase the volume on the Burson to uncomfortable levels?
If by changing the PS4 to say an OPPO Bluray player, will I notice any improvements on sound quality? I am assuming the Burson takes over from whatever the OPPO has to offer? If I found a dedicated bluray player that had an inbuilt EQ, could I use this with the burson to perhaps affect the bass?

I hope someone can help,
:)

If I am right, the Burson Conductor SL is a DAC so the PS4 merely becomes a transport. So there will be no perceivable change in sound quality by changing the source.Before you try it with a bluray player like OPPO, please try connecting an iphone to the Burson and see if there is an improvement in bass. SInce it is an analogue input, it should bypass the DAC in the Burson. The iphone does have some extra bass.

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply, and clearing up that the ps4 becomes a transport.
So I understand this is - other than better image quality, nothing is gained from changing the ps4 as a source for my blurays.

I unfortunately cannot connect an iphone/ipad to the burson via usb - the phone and ipad displays the message that the connected DAC requires too much power, and both iphone and ipad will not allow me to use it.
you mentioned analogue connection, is there an alternative way to connect an iphone/ipad to the burson that is not via USB? (I have a Apple camera kit to connect the iphone/ipad currently).

In terms of adding more bass, what I was initially meaning was - adding more bass into the PS4s output when watching films. From what I can see, the ps4 has no equaliser settings.
When messing around on my PC, I have found that all software equalisers that I have tried to do, give very fake and horrid results.
Could I perhaps add a hardware equalizer into the chain? If not an equalizer, what sort of hardware could I look into that could affect the bass and improve it? I know the headphones are capable of it, as I have heard it.

Are there any dedicated bluray players that have an equaliser built in, or something to allow me to tamper with the bass settings to increase it?
All I am after is to try and get that boom/rumble more present in the headphones (LCD-X), without having to crank the volume up to uncomfortable levels on the Burson. Is this even possible?

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 6
  Thanks for the reply, and clearing up that the ps4 becomes a transport.
So I understand this is - other than better image quality, nothing is gained from changing the ps4 as a source for my blurays.

Yes

Quote:

I unfortunately cannot connect an iphone/ipad to the burson via usb - the phone and ipad displays the message that the connected DAC requires too much power, and both iphone and ipad will not allow me to use it.
you mentioned analogue connection, is there an alternative way to connect an iphone/ipad to the burson that is not via USB? (I have a Apple camera kit to connect the iphone/ipad currently).

This should work

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-3-5mm-Male-2-Male-Adapter/dp/B004YEBK66

Are there any dedicated bluray players that have an equaliser built in, or something to allow me to tamper with the bass settings to increase it?
All I am after is to try and get that boom/rumble more present in the headphones (LCD-X), without having to crank the volume up to uncomfortable levels on the Burson. Is this even possible?

There are dedicated bluray players that allow you to equalize. But there is no point because the sound must pass through the Burson right? So you still may not get the desired sound, risk sounding artificial.

So there are two options that seem feasible:

1) connecting an ipod using the cable mentioned earlier.
2) using the burson as a preamp and connecting that to an amp that changes the sound. An amp with a headphone out.

Example: http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-355BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier

It has bass and treble controls as well. Please check with the company if the setup will work. It should.

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 6
Amazing, thank you so much. A rather basic question, however how would I connect the Burson Conductor SL to the NAD? How would the chain work with the PS4, Burson and NAD? 

Thanks again :)

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 6
  Amazing, thank you so much. A rather basic question, however how would I connect the Burson Conductor SL to the NAD? How would the chain work with the PS4, Burson and NAD? 

Thanks again :)

Oh Damn I was looking at the Burson Audio Conductor which can be used as a pre amp. The Burson Conductor SL cannot be. Sorry for the wrong information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back