How to improve my headphones sound? (Audio Technica M40x)
Oct 18, 2015 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

somunames

New Head-Fier
Hello,

If that's not the right place sorry.
I have Audio Technica M40x, and they sound not too special.
I believe that the problem is that I'm using it through a laptop.
I've already posted a similiar question before, asking whether I need to buy an amplifier to make them sound better.
But now I want to ask, if there's something else I can do to try and make them sound better? maybe a USB-sound card? 
and also, can amplifier actually make the headphones sound better, if the sound card of the laptop itself is bad? Or I will spend money if I just buy an amplifier.

**Does amplifier suppose to actually make headphones sound better to begin with ? :D

Thank you!

Oct 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 3
  Hello,

If that's not the right place sorry.
I have Audio Technica M40x, and they sound not too special.
I believe that the problem is that I'm using it through a laptop.
I've already posted a similiar question before, asking whether I need to buy an amplifier to make them sound better.
But now I want to ask, if there's something else I can do to try and make them sound better? maybe a USB-sound card? 
and also, can amplifier actually make the headphones sound better, if the sound card of the laptop itself is bad? Or I will spend money if I just buy an amplifier.

**Does amplifier suppose to actually make headphones sound better to begin with ? :D

Thank you!

This may sound counterintuitive, but the main role of headphone amps is to make the hps sound better, not louder. Your M40x are low impedance so in terms of loudness alone most devices like laptops, mobile phones or tablets can drive them to quite loud levels. I have no experience with this particular model, but in general the improvements you can expect from a good amp may include:
- more clarity and lower distortions
- better separation of instruments and more spacious presentation
- better control of bass response and overall change in frequency response
Usually however to get to the top performance your headphones are capable of, you'll also need a DAC that can supply quality signal to the amp.
The best way to assess whether the impact is worth the investment is to take your headphones to a local audio store and try it yourself. If this is impossible then try looking for some local audio enthusiasts that may let you use their gear - either in a club or meet environment or privately.

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 3
The best thing you can do is this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587703/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial-part-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/615417/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-advanced-tutorial-in-progress

An amp and/or DAC may or may not improve the sound. You'll have to try it out yourself. Right now I'm using a Pyle PHA40 amp with my M30x. (I've owned high-end systems too.) It sounds better to me with the amp, for whatever reason. Also, a good budget amp/DAC that you can use with most headphones is the Schiit Fulla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back