How to Improve my current DAC/AMP + Headphone Setup
Jan 6, 2022 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

khf01

New Head-Fier
Hi thank you HeadFi community.
I purchased the Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm version and the FiiO E10K DAC/AMP combo. I have been using these two devices to listen from Spotify and produce EDM in Ableton. I am very happy with the sound but I think it can be improved. The sound is a bit muddy and the transients sound like they could be better defined. To provide better sound in this budget can you please give me suggestions? I am looking for a DAC/AMP combo 150 USD or below and closed back headphones 250 or below. I would be using it for listening and producing EDM.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #2 of 9
For EDM production, you need at least this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F3TNCMK/ref=psdcmw_5524094011_t1_B0845W2M5F

and use your DT770 80 ohm with the bottom jack. If you buy this, watch some Afrojack private sessions and see how he uses his mixer. After trying out some of what he does, take the Pioneer 7-day class that is included. If you can do control that mixer like a boss, then you can upgrade to an SRH-1540 or something like that. :wink:

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 9
For EDM production, you need at least this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F3TNCMK/ref=psdcmw_5524094011_t1_B0845W2M5F

and use your DT770 80 ohm with the bottom jack. If you buy this, watch some Afrojack private sessions and see how he uses his mixer. After trying out some of what he does, take the Pioneer 7-day class that is included. If you can do control that mixer like a boss, then you can upgrade to an SRH-1540 or something like that. :wink:
hi @pbui44 thank you for this response but this Pioneer DJ device is not even in the same category of devices I was mentioning. This is totally off base, your response is completely not relevant to my question. There is no suitable use case for using this Pioneer DJ device for home listening or producing EDM.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 9
For production I'd think you'd want something traditionally "neutral" like AKG K553s or Shure 940s, but those might leave you a little bass-light for casual listening. Maybe the AKG K371 would split the difference well enough?

I don't know that you're gonna improve on the Fiio for less than $150. Maybe an iFi Zen DAC? Your next step up from that is probably a stack (separate dac and amp, from somewhere like Topping, JDS, Schiit, etc.) but that's gonna cost more

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 9
For production I'd think you'd want something traditionally "neutral" like AKG K553s or Shure 940s, but those might leave you a little bass-light for casual listening. Maybe the AKG K371 would split the difference well enough?

I don't know that you're gonna improve on the Fiio for less than $150. Maybe an iFi Zen DAC? Your next step up from that is probably a stack (separate dac and amp, from somewhere like Topping, JDS, Schiit, etc.) but that's gonna cost more
AKG K371 looks very promising after reading the documentation. I never messed with AKG before but I think it would be the best choice going forward. Thank you for your response it was very helpful and well articulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back