How to improve Internet radio
Dec 13, 2013 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

quantx

100+ Head-Fier
I listen a lot to some Internet radio stations, for instance Concertgebouw Amsterdam  Radio (outstanding concert programs never released on CD).

So my main source is my Mac and output is IEM or headphones.

From there, how could I improve the whole thing ?

ALO Rx MKIII for amp ?

But for the source itself. What could I do to improve on Mac audio card ? Which DAC ? Fiio ? Schiit ?

I intend to keep it reasonable, as I have a main system also in the house and this will be principally a small office set.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 7
I listen a lot to some Internet radio stations, for instance Concertgebouw Amsterdam  Radio (outstanding concert programs never released on CD).

So my main source is my Mac and output is IEM or headphones.

From there, how could I improve the whole thing ?

ALO Rx MKIII for amp ?

But for the source itself. What could I do to improve on Mac audio card ? Which DAC ? Fiio ? Schiit ?

I intend to keep it reasonable, as I have a main system also in the house and this will be principally a small office set.

do you need portable?

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 7
I've just been listening to Dvorak's 7th via tunein and comparing the quality direct from headphone socket and via external DAC/amp.

The laptop is a Lenovo Yoga running Windows 8.1 on an i7 processor, headphones are Ultrasone Signature Pros.

Listening to the music direct from the headphone socket was better than I expected internet radio to be, I've not listened for some time and my last experience was not good.

Running through my HiFi-M8 Amp/DAC. is significantly better than direct from the headphones socket. The depth of sound, power of brass and detail with the strings is much better.

Going back to the headphone socket after the amp makes the music sound thin and weak.

There's a complicated passage between 16.30 mins and 17.30 mins that really emphasises the difference for me.

Obviously my set up is a little different from yours, but I hope my findings are useful. Great to find such an interesting source of music as well, so thanks for the heads up...

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks.

From iTunes, you can also try Linn Radio (Classical and Jazz). Not as refined as Amsterdam concerts, but sound quality is darn good, even direct on Mac. 
Or Calmradio.com
Or americancenturymusic.org
Basically, I could try this kind of config :

Schiit Lyr amp connected to the Mac and IEM plugged in head output.
But where will I connect the DAC between Mac and amp to improve on Mac soundcard ? 
blink.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks.

From iTunes, you can also try Linn Radio (Classical and Jazz). Not as refined as Amsterdam concerts, but sound quality is darn good, even direct on Mac. 
Or Calmradio.com
Or americancenturymusic.org
Basically, I could try this kind of config :

Schiit Lyr amp connected to the Mac and IEM plugged in head output.
But where will I connect the DAC between Mac and amp to improve on Mac soundcard ? :blink:

USB > DAC (bifrost?) > Lyr > IEM

the Lyr may be a bit over the top for IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back