How to improve CD sound for peanuts...
Jan 12, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #46 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You better post a thread when you get it spinning!

Maybe I should have a shootout of DAC-1 vs TT
eggosmile.gif
Will be interesting to see if I still like my HD650s the most, using my SP amp.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #47 of 97
I like to improve my cd's by recording from web radio, then converting from the mp3 to 320kbps aac in itunes (soooooo much better quality with aac).... then burn a copy to CDr using nero, then I play it through my high quality AIWA hi-fi CD player + xmod (look at what it does to rubbishy mp3s, and imagine what it does to my amazing improved CDr!!!!!):
fe_crystalizer.jpg

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #48 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I should have a shootout of DAC-1 vs TT
eggosmile.gif
Will be interesting to see if I still like my HD650s the most, using my SP amp.

Decided what will be your first LP?

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #49 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to improve my cd's by recording from web radio, then converting from the mp3 to 320kbps aac in itunes (soooooo much better quality with aac).... then burn a copy to CDr using nero, then I play it through my high quality AIWA hi-fi CD player + xmod (look at what it does to rubbishy mp3s, and imagine what it does to my amazing improved CDr!!!!!):
fe_crystalizer.jpg

Doh! Why didn't I think of that?

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #51 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, no.

The uncorrectable errors you speak will still be entirely localized. Unless your CD is TOTALLY screwed up, in which case you need to buy a new one. These interpolations are almost always hardly noticeable.

And in any case they will never be responsible for making a CD just sound generally horrible. CD errors will not last the whole CD, the players circuitry will not attempt to interpolate the entire CD!

CD's now a days sound horrible because they are mastered poorly. Simply copying them onto a CD-R, no matter what brand of CD-R, will change what's already on the CD.

Um, ya! Ok, Um, maybe.

Its a matter of degree init? If the cratch is radial and big, it will be along the whole CD. But it don't matter, I know what you meant, and nothing I said was factually incorrect.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #52 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by DDF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, ya! Ok, Um, maybe.

Its a matter of degree init? If the cratch is radial and big, it will be along the whole CD. But it don't matter, I know what you meant, and nothing I said was factually incorrect.

That's the problem with the OP's premise, theory, whatever you call it:

Even the most forked up CD will only have localized errors, not one big general "malaise" caused by bit errors.

Just can't happen.

Cheers!

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #53 of 97
But don't stop there....

Make sure you get a green marker and mark the rim of your CD and then burn it on black CDRs. Then -and this really works- only listen to your music while standing on your left foot.

On most people (well right handed people anyway) the right leg is longer and that allows an uneven amount of vibration coming up your legs to your ears. The misaligned vibration degrades the sound you hear. If you only stand on the left foot you won't have the infamous "leg length disparity coaxial phase mis-alignment syndrome." -- That's the worst.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #54 of 97
Don't forget to get a really heavy book and put it on your head while you've got your right foot raised. A heavy object is needed to keep you grounded, so that the only vibrational forces are coming from the driver. Of course some is coming from the headphone cord.....but there's not much way of eliminating that. Although I am working on making a 5" long headphone cord to help with this problem. Copper is too impure. Tin is much better.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #55 of 97
Has anyone making jokes in this thread actually tried this?

I've seen claims elsewhere that CD-R copies of Red Book CDs sound better than the originals. I assume this is what the OP is talking about, disregarding the resampling issue for now.

It seems there are some members more interested in "looking cool" and making irrelevant jokes than discussing this topic seriously.

The sarcastic "funny" posts keep coming, with multiple posts by the same people.
rolleyes.gif

This thread = elementary school level of maturity

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #56 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've seen claims elsewhere that CD-R copies of Red Book CDs sound better than the originals. I assume this is what the OP is talking about, disregarding the resampling issue for now.

It seems there are some members more interested in "looking cool" and making irrelevant jokes than discussing this topic seriously.

The sarcastic "funny" posts keep coming, with multiple posts by the same people.
rolleyes.gif

Well, I haven't tried listening while standing on my head either.

Snake oil is snake oil.

If you wish to try it, have at it.

Perhaps you would like to try to improve your mp3's by decompressing them also? That was another of the OP's suggestions.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #57 of 97
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

Well being one of the joksters on this thread.....I'm sorry, but there's no way to take this thread seriously. Along the other duplicate thread that gonglee started, I at least got only one sane arguement about how a CD-R might sound different then the original pressed CD. And that would be error correction. Now if you guys want to start another thread just on that, that might be a better idea.

But instead of coming up with any evidence or explanation, we get advise that's completely out there. First it was that we should copy our audio CDs in 192kbps audio. Then it was that Windows Media Player can upconvert to 24bit, and you can somehow get that on CD. All of this is absurd, so why can't I be absurd
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #58 of 97
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

X2.
Some people seem to be very keen on displaying an enormous amount of ignorance.
And an incredible determination to stay ignorant.
Being ignorant is ok with me, I'm ignorant on a lot of topics, but the fact that there are people being proud of wanting to stay ignorant at all cost, I find slightly disturbing.
blink.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #59 of 97
Elephas, if the OP had said that he achieved sonic improvements by painting his listening room magenta, would you be heading down to Sherwin Williams?

We have brains, we would all be better off if we used them more often. Just because someone comes up with a hair-brained idea does not mean that we're obliged to give him the benefit of the doubt until it's tested.

That notion is one of the reasons there in so much nonsense in audio. This is why we have "Brilliant Pebbles" and "Clever Little Clocks", because audiophiles are too politically correct to throw the BS flag when it is appropriate.

And this thread is an appropriate place for the BS flag if ever there was one.

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #60 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2.
Some people seem to be very keen on displaying an enormous amount of ignorance.
And an incredible determination to stay ignorant.
Being ignorant is ok with me, I'm ignorant on a lot of topics, but the fact that there are people being proud of wanting to stay ignorant at all cost, I find slightly disturbing.
blink.gif

Horsefeathers!

If you keep your mind open enough for long enough eventually some jerk is going to come along and toss some garbage in there.

The OP has no clue, there is no merit in his ideas and any effort to investigate them would be an utter waste of time.

Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back