How to improve audio from laptop cheaply
May 12, 2011 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pettervo

New Head-Fier
Hey, I have just bought my first set of decent headphones, a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 Ohm. I am mostly listening to them through my laptop (a dell Inspiron 15z), and would like to get something to improve the sound for mye headphones. Problem is I really dont know anything about audio exquipment, Ive read around a bit but it has made me even more confused, as there are so many different gizmos available..

What would be a cheap way to improve the sound? should I get a USB sound-card, USB DAC, amp or something else.. I just dont know how the different components would help, and what I need.

I havent reaally decided on a budget yet.. but I dont want to blow too much money on this, If its possible to get something adequate for around 50 pounds that would be great, but if not I guess I could spend a bit more. Mostly I am asking for a clearification on the different types of gizmos

any help would be much appreciated

May 12, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 16
May 12, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
If you upped your budget a tad you could get a FiiO E7 which is a great entry level DAC.

I did that and I am not disappointed. 

May 12, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 16
Like stated above, if you want really cheap but still decent get a Behringer uca202 or a M-Audio Transit (I have this one and it sounds great). If you up your budget you can go the Fiio E7 route and later hook up an E9 for a great budget desktop combo. The Zero DAC is another great budget dac but slightly more expensive than the E7.

May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it!

So I understand that what I need is a USB DAC.. (I didnt really know what that was when I posted this thread, but Ive read a bit on them now...)
All the suggestions look good, Ive especially looked into the Behringer UCA202. However I am a bit worried about the comments in the review about them:

Quote:
.. works best with fairly efficient high impedance professional or studio-type headphones (with an impedance in the 80 – 600 ohm range). For typical 16 – 32 ohm headphones you probably won’t be that happy unless they’re really efficient or you like to listen at low levels.

Dont really know what he means, but my Beyers are 32 ohms... Any thoughts?

Also, I read about a new usb device from asus, with integrated headphone amp, Asus Xonar U3 Mobile USB: http://www.techpowerup.com/143762/ASUS-Introduces-the-Xonar-U3-Pocket-Sized-Mobile-USB-Soundcard.html. Is this something different that the DAC's you have recommended me?

Again, thanks for all the help! Im totally new to this, and quite confused... Any other suggestions?

May 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 16
a free way is to use the foobar player and set it up to use WASAPI output

you could also look into various vst plugins such as an equalizer.

May 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
a free way is to use the foobar player and set it up to use WASAPI output

you could also look into various vst plugins such as an equalizer.

Thanks for  the tip! I will look into that.

So, Ive looked at the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD: http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-HD-Sound/M/B004275EO4.htm. Any opinions on them?

I really liked the Fiio E7, but I have only found one internet-shop selling them in Norway, and they are out of stock and have a terrible reputation.. Ive had some bad experiences buying electrinics from abroad (with repairs and warrenty), so I really want to buy something I can find here..

But how do the X-Fi compare to the Behringer uca202 and other DAC's at this price range?  I couldnt find many reviews of them.. Remember I have a low impadance headset (DT770 32 ohm). (Im new to this so I dont really know how this will effect my needs, but the behringer review suggested they were not the best for low impedance headsets)

May 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD ?

I was wondering about that too? Any opinions? For ipod or laptop using Sennheiser IE6?

It may be kinda strange that most of us are pointing you to the E7.. but trust me ... I got a Senns 558 and the e7 and im running my music from the laptop ... Its very good... I know it may be a hassle .. but i really suggest you at least try to get a hold of one. I purchased both my headphones and the e7 from the for sale / for trade forums. Its not that hard if you really want to obtain it.

May 18, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 16
I have the SB X-FI HD; and, I am completely satisfied with it. I wanted an interface between my computer and DAC pre/pro. In addition to using the X-FI to play  computer audio over my home theatre speakers, it allows me to digitize vinyl with its ADC. This interface also contains a DAC, so It can be used to get computer  audio to analog  pre/pros too. But, since my pre/pro has a DAC, I use the X-FI mostly as an USB to S/PDIF converter, which seems to get the job done as I cannot distinguish 256k computer content from SACD. I have not seen an audio rag review of the X-FI HD, but if they were not to give this product the highest praise I think they'd be lying.

May 21, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 16
^^ thanks for the link, was of much help!

So I think I will be going for the Creative x-fi HD, however I am a bit worried about whether my computer has a good enough processor for this.. I see Creative specify that you need a 2.2 GHz or faster processor.. I have a computer with a dual-core 1,3 (yeah) GHz CULV processor..

I guess the 2.2 GHz are required for lossless music, and perhaps also using some of the sofware for equalizer etc.. I will be playing mostly 320 kbps mp3, so do you think my computer will manage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back