How to Improve Apple iPod Classic 160 GB (just purchased) sound quality?
Dec 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 30
I'd return the ipod if possible, start from scratch. I say this because even if you upgrade your earphones the Samsung is still going to sound better with any earphone choice. You will be forever in regret, your concious eating you away not enjoying music knowing the Samsung P2 sounds nicer. No earphone upgrade is going to change that, because no matter what you choose the P2 will always sound better compared with 'that earphone'. I would drop $30 on a Sansa Clip+ install rockbox, $35 on a pair of SoundMAGIC E10 in ear, and live happily ever after knowing for $60 you can trump the ipod classic

But of course.... the long route will probably be taken, were you end up spending hundreds upon hundreds of dollars gaining little but noticeable upgrade on IEM because the source is weak in SQ, only to become more curious about amping which of course you'll buy one and an LOD then have two devices to charge and become an addicted audiophile. :smile:

/2cents

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

The EQ on the P2 is on normal but I don't believe I can shut it off.  I just compared based on several different settings.  Btw.  the iphone 3Gs was better than the samsung P2.

And regarding the stores, I live in Toronto which is a big city so there had to have been some specialty stores around here.  I'm not much of an audiophile so it's probably not as exciting for me as it would be for you to have these kinds of stores around you.

OK, normal means it is basically shut off. I remember that much from my old Samsung I had before.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #18 of 30
H20 does have a point, above.....(frankly one I wouldn't have expected him to make 
wink.gif
) about the Rockboxed Clip+. It really is great value for the money. It's worth trying to return the Classic, also, because he may well be right about it never living up to your expectations. 

Now, if it was to come about that you could not return it, you'd have options still....try to sell it to someone here (still plenty of people looking for that kind of capacity) although you might have to take a slight loss on it....or the alternative would be to try and install Rockbox on it. The thread I linked to earlier looks to have pretty detailed instructions, but like I said before, not everyone is comfortable trying to do something like that. I've done it probably 20 times, but always on Sansa players that cost $50 or less, so a little less stress involved.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 30
Well, if the ipod cannot be returned I still highly recommend SoundMAGIC E10, (find them on ebay) however another point is once OP listens to E10 through both players the Samsung will still make them perform noticeably better. And so on this theory would continue with any IEM they tried. you would just keep repeating yourself over and over.

I'm having a mind blank today but I'm sure you get what I'm saying. :xf_eek:

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Yeah I'm afraid that I won't be able to find anything to make me really like the sound quality of the classic, much like you couldn't.  

Don't know whether I will or whether I even can return my classic but if I do, where would I be able to find a 5/5.5G ipod?

You can check the Craiglist ads in your area or bid on eBay or the HF sale forum. If you like the sound, rockboxing the ipod 5g/5.5g works like a charm without the frustrations people often have in rockboxing the classic's. If you are not aware of it, there are many options for swapping the ipod 5g/5.5g stock drive for a larger drive. Here is a thread on that topic.

Edit: If you can't return the classic, sell it!

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #21 of 30
Why all the hate, classic 7G is a great source.
Rockbox is easy to install and use, not buggy anymore plenty of sound control options.
IPod 7G has a flat frequency response, and using it with an amp and LOD I don't know what people complain about (audiophile players normally have high output impedance and rolled off highs, not flat response)
Also don't fall for 5.5G is better, Wolfson fan boys, 5.5 is to warm with rolled off highs, I have a 5.5G, 6G and 7G available to test at home and 7G comes out on top for being the flattest most detailed.

Clip is good, but in the long run the iPod still sounds better to me and has more storage and much better build quality.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:
Rockbox is easy to install and use, not buggy anymore plenty of sound control options.
IPod 7G has a flat frequency response, and using it with an amp and LOD I don't know what people complain about (audiophile players normally have high output impedance and rolled off highs, not flat response)
Also don't fall for 5.5G is better, Wolfson fan boys, 5.5 is to warm with rolled off highs, I have a 5.5G, 6G and 7G available to test at home and 7G comes out on top for being the flattest most detailed.
Clip is good, but in the long run the iPod still sounds better to me and has more storage and much better build quality.

Personal preference for A ≠ Hate for B. Hate is too strong a word my friend.
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

There is an acceptable trade-off for me between sound quality and the capabilities of the ipod classic.  It doesn't have to be as good as the samsung P2 as long as I can improve what I have currently.  I will try rockboxing it and look into better headphones.

Any suggestions on an amp/LOD/headphone set-up that fits my budget though?

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #24 of 30
Yes....yes, get an amp. This Leckerton UHA-6S MKII will only set you back $279 :devil_face:

Then, don't forget an LOD! We can pick one up for roughly $150. Need a good LOD. :wink:

Then all that's left is some decent headphones. Set you back abour $550. :veryevil:

All for your ipod. :wink:

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

There is an acceptable trade-off for me between sound quality and the capabilities of the ipod classic.  It doesn't have to be as good as the samsung P2 as long as I can improve what I have currently.  I will try rockboxing it and look into better headphones.

Any suggestions on an amp/LOD/headphone set-up that fits my budget though?

Probably the best budget amp/LOD combo is what I have....the FiiO E11 and one of the FiiO LODs.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #26 of 30
Fiio E12 should be out soon, or the JDS labs C421 is an excellent amp. LOD, I prefer silver and make my own, check out the classified in my sig to see what they are like, I use one the same as sheathed one I'm selling (made more than one to use up spare materials, still got some more cable to make some more)

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:
Hey guys I have one last question.  How would a Cowon X9 sound compared to the ipod classic?  I might be able to get my hands on the 32GB one for a reasonable price.

Interesting question. Cowon players have a ton of DSP effects and a customizable EQ built in....they can sound very nice, or very strange, depending on how you tinker with all the sound tweaks. And the X9 is reputed to have epic battery life as well. But their interfaces can be quirky and unintuitive.....I'm not familiar with the interface on the X9 itself, though.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:
Interesting question. Cowon players have a ton of DSP effects and a customizable EQ built in....they can sound very nice, or very strange, depending on how you tinker with all the sound tweaks. And the X9 is reputed to have epic battery life as well. But their interfaces can be quirky and unintuitive.....I'm not familiar with the interface on the X9 itself, though.

Yeah I'm returning the iPod tomorrow, I gave the sound two days and i just don't like it.  

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #30 of 30
All my previous jokes aside, I think you'll be much happier with a Cowon, I own/owned a few, they certainly live up to my expectations.

I think you'll be rather happy you did this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back