How to improve after K518 (K81)?
Nov 14, 2008 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gitf03

Head-Fier
Hi!

I was reading here since a long time.. but the more i read the more confused i get, so i hope someone can help me.

My headphone history is first i had the koss porta pro, now i have the K518 and i am not satisfied with them. what i like is the color of the sound, like porta pro also, because i listen to hiphop mostly and i dont like a too natural or linear sound. but i miss more clearity, more dynamic and soundstage. so the new phones should be a bit bassy and maybe a bit warmer and ab BIG improvement to the k581.

the question is, what can i buy for not more than 200$ and for the use with an iphone 3g (which sq i like), lossless, and without the need of an amp? ah...and somehow portable they shoul be also, because i listen at home and on the go, the iphone is my only gear. if they are open, then its ok, because sq is most important for me.

i can not try any, so i need some advices. iem would be also ok if the sq is better in same prize ranges...

i red much about the denon 1001 for example, but i wonder if that would be really a BIG improvement, because if it is just noticable, then maybe it wouldnt be worth for me.

thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 10
The degree of a difference is at least partly affected by some facts about you, not just some facts about the headphones that you buy...

Now, while price does not correlate perfectly to sound quality, it's a pretty good heuristic. So, if you're concerned with maxing out on SQ-improvement, you should try something at the top of your budget. HD 25 1 II? Used D2000?

Nov 14, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 10
yes, i know what you mean, and i know what i want. its a clear, depth but warmer sound. the depth with the k81 is zero in my opinion (ok, maybe 1). and the resolution is bad also.

i thought about the hd-25 before, but i doubt my iphone can drive them without problems? that is my big limitation. dont want to buy an amp and carry it with me...

you know, i bought the two headphones i have just because i red about them here and people say there are nice and of course, its there opinion and at least for the porta pro i felt the same but with time i want more. and now, how can i compare the k81 with the denon 1001 for example, which i can use without amp easily? it would be dissapointing to buy the denon and looking for the difference with glasses, if you know what i mean...

thanks for your answer

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 10
1Time, thank you very much for this suggestion since i never considered them,but i am reading now about an hour about them and they look very promising to me. i found out that there is a shop here which has them in store so maybe i can try them out tomorrow. i guess with 38 ohm i can use them without amp, but you just recommend one, if im correct ( i dont bother to buy a cheap one, but not 300$)

i'll write later tommorow what happend, but thank you very much, not many people are talking about them...

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest the ATH-M50 for ~$110 shipped and then get the Fiio E5 amp when it comes out.

where can you find an m50 $110 shipped?

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 10
first of all, i want to thank you all for the answers. but a BIG thanks goes especially to 1time.

finaly, i found a shop here that also had the m50 so i could try them. after maybe 10 minutes of listening i bought them. and i love them. this is EXACTLY what i wanted. although they are closed they sound very open, dynamic with a nice soundstage. nothing to compare with the k81, which i could throw away now because listening to them is pain now. i like the well dosed and defined bass (they are little bassy, but not overdosed), and the present mids much.

now i'm using them right out of the iphone and its nice. no problem to drive them. i also orderd a fiio e3, which i feel will improve the sound. but it will take some time until they will arrive.

i paid 139€. but there is nothing cheaper in the german region (even online) and i dont regret it, its worth every penny.

so thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back