How to hand the Y-split in a headphone recable?
Dec 13, 2006 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wlai

100+ Head-Fier
I'm attempting to recable my first set of phones, and am thinking of using the silver plated cooper cable and gold mini jacks with sheathing. The one part of the design I'm not sure of, is how to handle the Y junction where cables split off to the L and R drivers.

I was hoping to find something a bit more elegant than tying a knot, and hiding the knot in the sheathing. Are there widgets that you can buy to make it a bit more finished?

Thanks for any tip, thanks.

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 6
i believe that quables makes a product for this, they are int eh vendors section/sponsored threads.

you can also do it with lots of heat-shrink, and careful planning.

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heatshrink, for the easiest method. Looks quite neat too.

yep heatshrink. Even better, slide in a barrel shaped cylinder over the Y joint and heatshrink them in place - looks totally professional.

Dec 13, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 6
Great idea. What kind of cylinder do you use? Something that you can get at a local hardware store?

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep heatshrink. Even better, slide in a barrel shaped cylinder over the Y joint and heatshrink them in place - looks totally professional.

Dec 13, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 6
this is one of my best y-splits done only with adhesive lined heatshrink:

ysplitgd1.jpg

yeah, i wish the sides were perfectly even but one got pushed up a bit when i heated up the bigger heatshrink over the two. i still think it looks pretty good.

thanks for the tip on qables, nikongod. those little plastic split covers are nice.

also, partsexpress sells cable pants which i've used though they are a bit too big when working with thin wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back