How to get uncompressed music onto an IPhone, IPod, or PC?
Dec 11, 2013 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nimbostruck14

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!:)

I am very confused on access to uncompressed music. I am trying to find a way to
get uncompressed AIFF or WAV music files to my IPod or PC. This is what i need:

- a website that I can download or purchase uncompressed music
                                          or
- some other source that i can purchase uncompressed music from

If you know any link that can lead me to instructions, share below.

Thanks for the help
beyersmile.png

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Rip a CD?

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 10
Apple lossless called Alac. Will work except in IPod shuffle. Rip em with iTunes from your CDs.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #7 of 10
  Hi there!:)

I am very confused on access to uncompressed music. I am trying to find a way to
get uncompressed AIFF or WAV music files to my IPod or PC. This is what i need:

- a website that I can download or purchase uncompressed music
                                          or
- some other source that i can purchase uncompressed music from

If you know any link that can lead me to instructions, share below.

Thanks for the help
beyersmile.png

FLAC is really the way to go - it's compressed, but totally lossless and based on a totally open software standard (Free Lossless Audio Codec).  WAV files have no intelligence whatsoever and are at least twice as large as they should be, even though uncompressed.  AIFF is proprietary.  FLAC takes out the dead spaces, leaving a file that's at least half-size (sometimes up to 8 times smaller), with totally "lossless" compression.

The totally legit way is to take a CD (or wav files), rip it to the PC (preferably with EAC - Exact Audio Copy) and run it through a FLAC decoder.  The FLAC decoder is free and comes as a plug-in with something like Foobar2000 or WinAmp.  (For that matter, Foobar2000 also has access to an AIFF decoder.)

This will remove the native Apple software, but something like RockBox can replace the OS on an iPod and deal with FLAC files.  Many other PDP's come with the capability to load and play FLAC files, anyway - Sansa Clips, iRiver devices, etc.  AIFF is OK if you want to stick with Apple-only.  A PC with most music players (certainly Foobar2000) will have no trouble whatsoever with AIFF or FLAC files.

I've seen some notable Head-Fi personalities still recommending WAV files, but that's pointless when FLAC is available.  AIFF is typical Apple: it works, if you want to play their game.

Dec 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 10

FLAC is really the way to go - it's compressed, but totally lossless and based on a totally open software standard (Free Lossless Audio Codec).  WAV files have no intelligence whatsoever and are at least twice as large as they should be, even though uncompressed.  AIFF is proprietary.  FLAC takes out the dead spaces, leaving a file that's at least half-size (sometimes up to 8 times smaller), with totally "lossless" compression.

The totally legit way is to take a CD (or wav files), rip it to the PC (preferably with EAC - Exact Audio Copy) and run it through a FLAC decoder.  The FLAC decoder is free and comes as a plug-in with something like Foobar2000 or WinAmp.  (For that matter, Foobar2000 also has access to an AIFF decoder.)

This will remove the native Apple software, but something like RockBox can replace the OS on an iPod and deal with FLAC files.  Many other PDP's come with the capability to load and play FLAC files, anyway - Sansa Clips, iRiver devices, etc.  AIFF is OK if you want to stick with Apple-only.  A PC with most music players (certainly Foobar2000) will have no trouble whatsoever with AIFF or FLAC files.

I've seen some notable Head-Fi personalities still recommending WAV files, but that's pointless when FLAC is available.  AIFF is typical Apple: it works, if you want to play their game.

What is the name of the Foobar2000 component that can convert WAV files to FLAC files?

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 10
Dec 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 10

What is the name of the Foobar2000 component that can convert WAV files to FLAC files?

It's sort of hard to remember.
wink.gif
  It's called FLAC, the Free Lossless Audio Codec:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/flac/

SourceForge is quite a resource, btw - free, open-source software with no fear of viruses.  I believe Foobar starts there and Audacity, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back