How to get the most out of my PC/Cans
Aug 8, 2015 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kayan

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get the most out of my current setup by adding to it whatever I need. I mostly game and listen to music via my PC. I've got a Creative SbZ soundcard and am currently using the audio control module to hook up my mic and headphones -- Sony z7.

I don't need something portable at this time, so desktop only use is fine. Also, something I could hook my Zune HD/smartphone up to would be nice, but it's hardly required.

I know I should get an amp of some type, but I'm not really sure if I also need a DAC as well? Is it best to get an all in one unit (DAC/Amp combo) or buy two pieces separately. I'm looking a the Modi/Magni 2 pair, a NAD D 1050, and the Sony UDA-1. I'm open to other suggestions, but the price range is no more than 500 (UDA-1 is around 550 right now), but preferably closer to 300ish.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 14
what is your software/media player? Suggest you use JRiver to listen and play music/videos/tv/stream. It can max out the ability of your soundcard/audio equipment.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 14
The NAD D 1050 and Sony UDA-1 are not just a DAC and headphone amp. They are also a speaker amplifier. Do you need that? If not, stick to DAC/headphone amp options.

I can also recommend the Audio-GD NFB-11 and NFB-15. These are very good DAC/headphone amps that also have pre-amp capability for hooking up powered speakers (but do not have a speaker amp).

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #4 of 14
what is your software/media player? Suggest you use JRiver to listen and play music/videos/tv/stream. It can max out the ability of your soundcard/audio equipment.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I used to use the Zune software (before installing W10 last week), haven't transferred my music back off of my external hdd. I'll check out jriver.

The NAD D 1050 and Sony UDA-1 are not just a DAC and headphone amp. They are also a speaker amplifier. Do you need that? If not, stick to DAC/headphone amp options.

I can also recommend the Audio-GD NFB-11 and NFB-15. These are very good DAC/headphone amps that also have pre-amp capability for hooking up powered speakers (but do not have a speaker amp).

I don't need a speaker amp. I have a 2.0 set hooked up to my pc, but usually I just use headphones now, except when I'm home alone.

I think I just need an amp/dac, it'd be nice if I could feed it as a standalone from my Zune HD, without my pc being turned on, but is not 100% necessary.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 14
  I want to get the most out of my current setup by adding to it whatever I need. I mostly game and listen to music via my PC. I've got a Creative SbZ sound card and am currently using the audio control module to hook up my mic and headphones -- Sony z7.
I don't need something portable at this time, so desktop only use is fine. Also, something I could hook my Zune HD/smartphone up to would be nice, but it's hardly required.
I know I should get an amp of some type, but I'm not really sure if I also need a DAC as well? Is it best to get an all in one unit (DAC/Amp combo) or buy two pieces separately. I'm looking a the Modi/Magni 2 pair, a NAD D 1050, and the Sony UDA-1. I'm open to other suggestions, but the price range is no more than 500 (UDA-1 is around 550 right now), but preferably closer to 300ish.

Assuming you have the Sound Blaster Zx card, because it's the only Creative Labs Z series card to come with a ACM (Audio Control Module).
Try removing the ACM module and plug the headphone directly into the Zx card's headphone jack, you might notice an improvement in audio quality.

Hopefully you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, before you installed the SB-Zx and the Creative software.

Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, $270 + shipping ($45).
Dual WM8741 DAC chips :)
USB. optical and coaxial inputs :)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
So just connect the optical to the SB-Zx's optical port and you can still use the features of the SB-Zx

A low cost way to improve audio quality for music and any other 2-channel audio source.
Get an external solid state headphone amplifier, with a low output impedance and plug it into the SB-Zx's Front Speaker jack
(would need to set the SB-Zx's audio channel to 2-channels and audio output to Front Speakers only)
Maybe an O2 (Objective 2) headphone amplifier?

A hybrid headphone amplifier (tube/solid state) would also be another option.

Aug 9, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 14
Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15, external DAC/amp, $270 + shipping ($45).
Dual WM8741 DAC chips :)
USB. optical and coaxial inputs :)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
So just connect the optical to the SB-Zx's optical port and you can still use the features of the SB-Zx

The NFB-15 is a great option. However, you won't be able to connect the Zune HD to it, whereas with the Modi 2/Magni 2 separates, you could always unplug the Modi 2 and plug the Zune HD into the Magni 2. If that is not important, I would go with the NFB-15.

Given that the Sony Z7 are not difficult to drive at 70 ohm, 102 dB/mW, you could get a Fiio X3 DAP, which would be an upgrade over a Zune HD. It can also be used as a DAC/headphone amp with a PC (and I believe Mac, too).

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 14
The NFB-15 is a great option. However, you won't be able to connect the Zune HD to it, whereas with the Modi 2/Magni 2 separates, you could always unplug the Modi 2 and plug the Zune HD into the Magni 2. If that is not important, I would go with the NFB-15.

Given that the Sony Z7 are not difficult to drive at 70 ohm, 102 dB/mW, you could get a Fiio X3 DAP, which would be an upgrade over a Zune HD. It can also be used as a DAC/headphone amp with a PC (and I believe Mac, too).

Forgot about the Zune HD & phone hook up.
But he could connect them to the line-input on the SB-Zx.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 14
Forgot about the Zune HD & phone hook up.
But he could connect them to the line-input on the SB-Zx.

Good point :)

So, it seems like everyone is suggesting I replace my Zune HD, will it really make a difference, going to a x3-ii or a pono? I don't use it a ton, a couple times per month, except on vacation.

This may change in a couple of months. My wife and I are having our first child, and I kinda feel like I may need some kind of source besides my pc for those nights I'm up with the baby, and I want music. Does this make sense? This is my first foray into higher end audio, and am just lost as to what will give me the best bang for buck at the moment.

I checked out those amp/dac you guys suggested, are they overly bright?

The SB Zx is the soundcard I have, and I use it for its gaming benefits and such, so I want its processing in the mix for positioning and such. I'm not averse to ditching the acm, as I only use the dial for volume adjustment, but I know whatever amp I get will take care of that.

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 14
I would go for the Fiio X3 or X5 over the Pono Player (which I feel is over priced).

The Fiio X3 and X5 cannot take advantage of the virtual surround of your soundcard when plugged into your computer. For that you need a DAC that connects via optical to your soundcard.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 14
I would go for the Fiio X3 or X5 over the Pono Player (which I feel is over priced).

The Fiio X3 and X5 cannot take advantage of the virtual surround of your soundcard when plugged into your computer. For that you need a DAC that connects via optical to your soundcard.

I don't need surround for my music, the surround is purely for gaming. The soundcard gives better output than the motherboard sound processor, so yeah.

I like what I'm reading about the x3-ii, is there something similar in cost/performance that is touchscreen. The navigation system on the x3 sounds very hard to navigate.

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 14
iBasso DX50 is an alternative to the X3. If you don't like the default UI, you can install Rockbox firmware. Not sure how well the connected to a PC as a DAC functionality works, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back