How to get the best sound from my iMac?
Nov 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

J.P.6

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

My current setup is as follows: iMac (ALAC) > Fubar II USB DAC (with discrete OP AMP) > Little Dot MkIII > Ultrasone Pro 750 and I love the sound, but am looking to upgrade/change some things. I'd like to keep my headphones as I love them and was thinking of getting a new DAC and possibly using the Little Dot as a pre-amp?

I listen to mainly heavy metal and love the sound valves give, so baring that in mind, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 15, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Dont know about Dacmagic, but I had the oportunity to test a fubar, and it just came short of my expectations.

My current setting includes Musical Fidelity V-DAC (you can get one for 150 pounds, 250 $ ?), and a Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 -350 $ no longer available, but who knows- Only thing I've heard that compares is the Lehmann Audio 'Cube Linear'. Prima sound, selectable gain and 2 headphone outputs. I just found it a little too expensive at 500-600 € (1000 $).

Of note, the cheaper Lehmann 'Rhinelander' model is not worth trying. Its just like any other cheap headphone amp. Have not tried it side-by-side with the fubars, but would guess they sound similar. It might be the regulated overdimensioned power source of the Cube Linear that makes all the difference ?

BTW, best prices for Europe-made stuff are usually in british web retailers.
Try Audiologica, StoneAudio or Audio Affair.

I dont get into headphones, but I still keep my AKG K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back