How to get rid of the gold plating on 3.5mm jack
Feb 13, 2024 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kuroka

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've got a new cables just like for a month.. And now the gold plating is wearing off at the 3.5mm jack.. And it creates golden dust which I afraid will stick inside my DAC port.. Is there any way to get rid of the golden plating at once? Or should I just left it like that? Or replace the jack itself with the new one? Thanks

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 3
I'd clean it, and stick it in a short extension cable so if any of the plating comes off or it starts to corrode, it's not inside your DAC plug. Plugging it in and out of an extender will speed up loosening whatever parts of the bad plating will come free. It's usually just a few microns, not likely to cause a jam.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 3
I'd clean it, and stick it in a short extension cable so if any of the plating comes off or it starts to corrode, it's not inside your DAC plug. Plugging it in and out of an extender will speed up loosening whatever parts of the bad plating will come free. It's usually just a few microns, not likely to cause a jam.
Can I clean it using alcohol? And will it effect the sound quality if the gold plating has weared off completely?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back