How to get rid of stuff
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

HBen

500+ Head-Fier
Dear all,

so over the last two and a half decades of being in the hobby (the HD580 sucked me in in the middle of the 90's) I have accumulated an ever growing number of headphones, amps and DAC's - much of it in the last few years. Needless to say my office is getting pretty overwhelmed with headphone gear and it's time to let go of some stuff. I would say I'm using about a third of the gear on a regular base (at least once a week), another third from time to time and the last third very little to almost never.

Reasons to keep stuff in the lower two thirds of usage are mainly:
- Possibility to find synergy between components and thinking "I might use this more later"
- Sentimental value
- Thinking "for the price I could sell this I might as well keep it"

Reasons to sell stuff:
- desk space / less messy office
- a bit of extra pocket money (not really a factor with much impact)

So far I have not been very successful convincing myself to sell or get rid of stuff even though I know I should. I want to make my office more organised but currently I'm more leaning towards buying more shelves :)

Because Head-Fi definitely had it's impact on this issue and I'm probably not the only one I thought I might as well ask you dear fellow addicts for some advice and stories about how you dealt with this issue.

So how do you convice yourself go get rid of stuff you don't really use much?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 14
I found that going back to other old hobbies was a good incentive for me to sell stuff.
When I wanted to buy a full frame digital camera, it was VERY easy for me to sell a bunch of stuff that I never used any more.

Sometimes it's helps to just get everything, make a big pile (or just make a list... but sometimes it helps to visualize it) and pick out the stuff you absolutely can't live without (right now)... and give a long hard think about the rest of it. Very likely most of what's left over can or should be sold.

You could also try to think of 'sentimental value' as a burden. Normally, sentimental feelings for inanimate objects are held in a positive light, since they hold precious memories; but their importance or value is only what we place on them in our own minds. Essentially, we become slaves to those objects and they start to control us. So in this way you could look at it somewhat negatively - the only way to free yourself of those objects is to let them go.

Also having a nagging wife helps :D ... apparently 60+ headphones is too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 14
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 14
One approach would be to play anthropologist on yourself: Observe your own behavior. Which equipment are you using? Which has just sat there?
You could take notes. Give it a fixed time period, a month maybe, to clarify what you're really using.

You've probably got upgrade-itis like the rest of us, and I'm sure some stuff turned out to be a clear, undeniable upgrade. So no need to keep the stuff that you improved on.

I've gotta say, I am not a major believer in super subtle "synergy." Maybe you want to keep one tube amp and one solid-state, one neutral and one (or two, for variety?) "fun" phones and IEMS, and whichever DAP has the best combo of sound and user interface--the one you reach for because you feel like listening to music, not toying with equipment. Any decent DAP that you can (if you must) equalize should do the job.

You're right that some of the budget stuff isn't worth the effort of selling. Ebay's percentage, PayPal's gouge and shipping costs take a big bite. If you can sell here (or maybe someplace like Reddit) you're better off. Otherwise...relatives, friends, donate? Head-Fi Classifieds do include "Free to Good Home."

When I have wine with dinner, I have one white and one red on hand that go well with nearly everything. Could I go out of my way to pair something more minerally or fruity or earthier or drier with every particular dish? Yeah, I guess so. But I enjoy dinner anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 14
Dear all,

so over the last two and a half decades of being in the hobby (the HD580 sucked me in in the middle of the 90's) I have accumulated an ever growing number of headphones, amps and DAC's - much of it in the last few years. Needless to say my office is getting pretty overwhelmed with headphone gear and it's time to let go of some stuff. I would say I'm using about a third of the gear on a regular base (at least once a week), another third from time to time and the last third very little to almost never.

Reasons to keep stuff in the lower two thirds of usage are mainly:
- Possibility to find synergy between components and thinking "I might use this more later"
- Sentimental value
- Thinking "for the price I could sell this I might as well keep it"

Reasons to sell stuff:
- desk space / less messy office
- a bit of extra pocket money (not really a factor with much impact)

So far I have not been very successful convincing myself to sell or get rid of stuff even though I know I should. I want to make my office more organised but currently I'm more leaning towards buying more shelves :)

Because Head-Fi definitely had it's impact on this issue and I'm probably not the only one I thought I might as well ask you dear fellow addicts for some advice and stories about how you dealt with this issue.

I’d make a few ‘synergistic combos’; setups that are ‘great matchups’, but not your FAVORITE kit..
Then list them for fair market dollar.

You are not in a hurry to sell, and that means you can stay relatively firm to your asking price;
hopefully you will then only get interested parties ‘at buying into the hobby’ as enthusiastic purchasers (the ideal)
the happyness that goes with any actual sale will be remembered well longer than any coin will.
Selling cheap to bargain hunters (possibly with interest to simply resell) often means dealing with abrupt/rude sorts (they do not value your time, and would rather invest theirs‘ into other ‘low ball offers’)..

Regarding consumerism ‘psych studies reckon we suffer more pain from losing an item than the item brought us in joy.. ‘ (there is a lot of concepts involved of course)
so instead of having a regretful sale, aim to have a good sale..
and whilstever it isn’t selling-you are not missing out on anything (like coin for the hobby box kitty) so ‘easy decision really.

Gives you a chance to litmus test the market and establish rate of interest (at any given pricepoint)..

Just make sure you have your checklist covered of essential traits, and have aside a full armoury of dodads and dohickeys (eg don’t sell both bluetooth TRANSMIT dongles accidentally)..
As long as you have your required sound to fall back on, yay..
I do recommend to also hold onto headphones that offer a specific sound tailoring for given situations eg just cause you haven’t listened to orchestral for awhile or movies, don’t give up the ‘best soundstage‘ sets cause present music tastes don’t really need that aspect first and foremost..
and any truly reference kit that has a ‘bugger all‘ resale value,,.. and never sell your ‘top of the tree’ parts off.
They are easy sales for when you need coin, ie EVERYONE wants to upgrade, so when you are selling off any top of the line part, many MORE potential interested parties will be dreaming about the purchase...

Selling off a manicured sound rig, known for its’ synergy; allows offering someone else a chance to skip hassle and get a destination.. (some do not want the journey right now)
I write this assuming that in amongst the ‘b’ setups are many ‘well rated’ and ‘often considered’ recommendations.
I suppose it just comes down to whether there is any guilt to having ‘good kit’ that could be appreciated lying around being unused.
I always try to foister my favorite dodads and dohickeys on friends (who may have an unrecognised need for some such bits) in a hope that ‘sharing the joy’ might go on and on and on....

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 14

If you're in doubt whether to get rid of unused stuff, please think about money you have in it. Years back I was a major IEM hoarder with several dozens of these and most were sub $200. After letting go most of that stock I got enough funds to purchase nice full-sized cans.

There's alwyas someone that wants audio products you have but don't use. When something gathers dust on my desk, it's time for it to go to a new home and in return treat myself with something else :)

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 15, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #7 of 14

Less is more. Actual use vs having stuff. I value my gear twice as much when they're the only ones in the stable.

I would say I'm using about a third of the gear on a regular base (at least once a week), another third from time to time and the last third very little to almost never.

So keep what you use regularly and sell the rest. Unless there's a rare gem in the remaining two third you can always buy them back.

Nov 15, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 14
Less is more. Actual use vs having stuff. I value my gear twice as much when they're the only ones in the stable.

This in 100%. There's nothing wrong in having say a portable setup alongside the main one, but five of each is a bit of a stretch. Especially if just one or two are in use while everything else gathers dust :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 15, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #10 of 14
If you're in doubt whether to get rid of unused stuff, please think about money you have in it. Years back I was a major IEM hoarder with several dozens of these and most were sub $200. After letting go most of that stock I got enough funds to purchase nice full-sized cans.

After re-reading this a few times I still read it as "nice full-sized cars" and thought, that must have truly been a lot of sub-$200 IEMs!

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 14
Thank you all for your inputs. I can feel the accumulated wisdom is pushing me in the right direction since I can relate to several of your comments :) keep it coming :)

Nov 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #13 of 14
I´m starting to have the same issue. I bought too many things recently, including 6 pairs of headphones, a few different dacs etc. Thre comes a point when you´ve got too many things and you have to hide it from your wife.. haha.
talking about that I saw a pair of hifiman susvara for sale where the seller had scraped off the logos on the sides and the word susvara in fear of his wife looking up the price

Nov 17, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 14
I´m starting to have the same issue. I bought too many things recently, including 6 pairs of headphones, a few different dacs etc. Thre comes a point when you´ve got too many things and you have to hide it from your wife.. haha.
talking about that I saw a pair of hifiman susvara for sale where the seller had scraped off the logos on the sides and the word susvara in fear of his wife looking up the price
I guess some us can definitely relate :)
Apart from selling some stuff I'm thinking about buying a display case to keep the headphones dust free and make it look less messy. Anybody got a similar storage solution and can post some pictures ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back