How to get high quality music/sound files?
Dec 26, 2012 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

asxz

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to Hi-Fi and I'm wondering if there is a way to get high quality music files? I barely find any FLAC/WAV etc. for download and don't have the money to buy and rip CD's. Right now I only have MP3's.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 8
The cheapes way would be to go to your local library and check out CDs, then rip them to lossless. If you can't do that there are sites that sell high quality recordings like beatport.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 8
Used CDs can be gotten cheaply on sites like Amazon and Spun.com. The sites I know of that sell hi-res FLAC like HDTracks aren't exactly cheap either.

Quote:
The cheapes way would be to go to your local library and check out CDs, then rip them to lossless.

Just thought I'd let you know, the CD police are coming for you!
tongue.gif

May 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
The cheapes way would be to go to your local library and check out CDs, then rip them to lossless.

+1 on that, most libraries have online catalogs so you can search for and reserve the albums right from home.  My library is part of a network which allows them to "borrow" albums from like 6 surrounding cities and then they show up at the library two blocks from my house... Sad that the library isn't utilized more often that it is.  The main people I see in our district library are homeless people who just want to get out of the elements for a while.  I remember when I was a kid and used to spend hours at the library during the summer.  Also: both my walk to and from school were uphill.  Also:  I'm not really that old (or cranky), I just find it interesting is all.

May 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
The cheapes way would be to go to your local library and check out CDs, then rip them to lossless. If you can't do that there are sites that sell high quality recordings like beatport.

Please explain exactly how to rip to lossless...................what exactly do you have to do upon the computer asking if you want to download the CD into iTunes?  Thanks! 

May 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Please explain exactly how to rip to lossless...................what exactly do you have to do upon the computer asking if you want to download the CD into iTunes?  Thanks! 

just curious, but is there something preventing you from typing "ripping lossless in itunes" into google?  or even typing "lossless" into itunes help?

May 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
just curious, but is there something preventing you from typing "ripping lossless in itunes" into google?  or even typing "lossless" into itunes help?

Nothing at all preventing that. 

Since most people on Head Fi are helpful and caring, we don't mind answering these mundane, stupid and useless questions like I do over and over in other threads.

You think maybe the time you wasted typing that snide comment could have been better used maybe being helpful? 

Sorry to bother YOU but if you don't want to help, just don't. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back