How to get digital out of my Dell M4500?
Jun 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

earthtodan

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting an external DAC (Audio-DG DAC-19). I have a Dell Precision M4500 with only a headphone jack and firewire. Now maybe I'm Google challenged, but I can't seem to find a driver that would export through USB, or even figure out what sound card I have and whether I can upgrade to one with a native digital output. Can someone point me to the answers?

Thanks,

Dan

Jun 18, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 6
if you want to use USB simply plug the usb in from the DAC-19 and it will configure itself.  Special usb drivers are only needed for the new hi-res USB DACs. 

If your computer has some kind of sound management software and anything potientially digital sounding is mentioned anywhere on it then you  may have a spdif signal hidden in your headphone jack or something and only need a spdif or toslink adapter to use it.  Most computers have digital connections though they're never mentioned anywhere.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting an external DAC (Audio-DG DAC-19). I have a Dell Precision M4500 with only a headphone jack and firewire. Now maybe I'm Google challenged, but I can't seem to find a driver that would export through USB, or even figure out what sound card I have and whether I can upgrade to one with a native digital output. Can someone point me to the answers?

Thanks,

Dan

If the DAC is using the USB Audio Class, then its plug and play like any common usb device.
Otherwise the manufacturer will supply the driver.

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Sweet. So does the DAC-19 tell the computer to mute the speakers, or do I just play the music and hit the mute key? 

Here's my sound control panel: The two output devices, and the properties dialogue box for one of them. I don't see anything suggestive of SPDIF.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y206/Ludemandan/sound.jpg

Dan

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Your Dell just has regular Audio. No digital outputs from the built in sound controller.

When you connect up your DAC-19, another device will show up in that audio control panel which you can select to send the music through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back