how to get a good balance of life? *spending habits*
Nov 1, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #16 of 31
You should just buy whatever you want. Someone gotta get the economy going.

But seriously, you should do what makes you happy. But also make sure you don't ruin your life because of it. Always pay cash. So as long as you can afford it why not.

When I was younger, I was the same way. But I only bought what I can afford and never ever go into debt. I even bought my car with cash. The only debt I incur is the house mortgage. To get the what you really want, sometimes you just have to wait. But that only make the purchase so much sweeter.

Now that I'm older. I have not bought any gear for a long time because I got everything I wanted. My house is paid off and I can retire anytime I want.

So buying gear is not such a bad thing as long you get what you really want and never upgrade. My last HiFi purchase lasted me 20 years and I have no plan to upgrade. My wife is still driving her car with 170K miles on it. And she loves her car.

So as long as you're happy go for it.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a bad case of addictive personality.

x2 I can identify with a lot of the habits the OP mentioned, and I KNOW I have an addictive personality. I don't know if the OP wants to change or is just looking for someone to justify that kind of behavior (if its the latter, I think the OP knows they came to the right place)

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
geez; what a high quality problem; it's tough to have disposable income

As someone stated earlier, it is not always about the income level; many people feel the urge to spend like this and DO even if they can not afford it. IMO, that is why we have so much debt in the US; I knew I couldn't afford building a new computer AND spending just as much on upgrades to my own computer while I was still in college (600 on mine, 680 on the new one) yet I did it anyway, getting my first credit card. I had nearly no income, yet I HAD to have both of the things I wanted. Well, I was able to sell the other computer (luckily) but it was at a slight loss. And I had other "needs" come up at the time, so I didn't even use the money to pay off the credit card. And this goes on and on... to right now (I am downloading a purchase right now with money that could be better spent on groceries, gas, etc.) and that is my own fault. I choose to have certain areas of my life suffer (health from poor diet, not going to the dentist when I know I need it, my GF being mad at me
tongue.gif
) in order to have what I want when I want it and I can live with that.

I think the issue the OP was having was the feeling of being trapped in the endless cycle of desire, then satisfying that desire with buying something new, and then having the same desire come back again. Which is an issue that goes deeper than just the spending; I think there is some basic need that needs to be fulfilled.

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #21 of 31
There are schools that actually teach techniques to effectively remove these states, even states such as fear, anger and depression.

It's worth investigating, particularly if you want to be more peaceful.

There is a very good one listed here, they offer free online courses.

www.Gnosticweb.com

It's a great question; all the best with however you approach it.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ymv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are schools that actually teach techniques to effectively remove these states, even states such as fear, anger and depression.

It's worth investigating, particularly if you want to be more peaceful.

There is a very good one listed here, they offer free online courses.

www.Gnosticweb.com

It's a great question; all the best with however you approach it.

My Cult-O-Meter just bounced off the rev-limiter!
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 31
Simple way is this. You clearly know fully well when you get 'obsessed' with some field, so just force yourself *not* to do so. Buy some cheapline item from the shops and use it even though your mind is saying 'NO! don't buy this! You have to see what it's about first! It's a waste!'

My Dad, on the other hand, loves to carefully research stuff, and he does so carefully, he never ends up buying anything!
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #24 of 31
i myself have the same tendencies. I love gear related hobbies. Wether it be paintball,PC gear, or hi fi audio etc. etc. At one point i was just like whatever, no more deficit spending. I hate giving away money. I feel like all those interest charges are as such. I dont spend nearly as much as i used it. Before i jump to new hobbies i try to round out the last one first, that way i feel complete. It doesnt have to be the best, just solid and well rounded.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do
without the necessities"

~ Frank Lloyd Wright - An Autobiography

GAD

Great quote

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #26 of 31
It doesn't make you happy right? Of course not. Find what does make you happy, then make the choice to pursue that. I think many of us, myself included could live far richer lives if we focussed on what is real, and on what is true, instead of on 'stuff'.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #27 of 31
Lots of very good insight in this thread.

I read Psycho Cybernetics a few years ago and thought it was a great book, but like most books, while some of it stuck with me the majority was lost after a few weeks. I purchased the audio book about 6 months ago (I often read books in both forms) and have since listened to it/ read it about 10 times. This is probably the most powerful self help book ever written and essentially deals with the satisfaction of life.

Toward the end he sites 6 needs that every human has from the book "How to Live 365 Days a Year" by John Schindler.

1. the need for love
2. the need for security
3. the need for creative expression
4. the need for recognition
5. the need for new experiences
6. the need for self esteem

Maxwell Maltz adds #7

7. the need for more life- to look forward to tomorrow with gladness and anticipation- expectation and engagement. (a nostalgia for tomorrow rather than the past)

Basically we all have an self image that is essentially made up by the manner in which we have let things in our life affect or define us. Some of these definitions worked for us at some point, but many of us go off into the real world still maintaining the identity of a 15 year old, 8 year old, or even a toddler. This limited identity frames situations as automatically as instinct would kick in if you were to encounter a bear in the wild.

One of the funniest examples is in regard to frustration- when you get frustrated you basically go off like Elmer Fudd- firing shots in every direction- attempting to make a case of unfairness before the court of life. This is laughable, but I've done it. I'm sure this method worked wonders on my parents when I was a toddler, but it makes me look like an ass today.

The same thing happens when you feel unfulfilled, which is the source of obsession, compulsion and consumerism (mild obsession/ compulsion- not clinical). We are unfulfilled in one of the categories above and go off looking for something to occupy our time, numb our self reflection and fill the void. The real problem is that we have not figured out what our identity is or what fulfillment means and attempt to substitute societies or some one elses (including an incompatible self images) standards for our own- "if this is what I am told is makes others happy- then it certainly will make me happy too." Its an easy way out, but never satisfactory. People generally lack fulfilling goals and would rather inebriate their sensibilities than deal with it, even though dealing with it is the only solution. The key is to re-define who we are and then work toward goals that actually satisfy us.

Anyway, powerful stuff that, despite having read perhaps 100's of self help and personal development books, has put my dissatisfaction with life in perspective and at ease.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #28 of 31
Meh.

I find that people these days tend to (consciously or not) construct their identity based on what they own. Thus, they feel the need to have the best widgets they can manage to have: Clothes they can't afford, a car that has a monthly bill rivaling their rent (and still renting), etc. - all so tha they can present themselves as The Sorts of People That Have These Sorts of Things. Audio is just one realm where people can go particularly insane (and there are many image dealers waiting to sell you your new "you" - are you the sort of person that owns the piano black, or the mahogany? The Ikea scene in fight club comes to mind).

Boredom, a thirst for identity construction, and a credit card are a dangerous combination, especially with the near-instant gratification of the internet.

I agree with the idea above: go to the library and read. Perhaps try to find some free/low cost group activity, like a book club/frisbee golf/etc.

...Or i guess you could just get a World of Warcraft subscription
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]

Actually, I bet starting off with a book by Chuck Palahniuk would be an excellent way to kick your new free hobby off.[/size]

Nov 4, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #29 of 31
I'm the complete opposite to of the OP; "stuff" seems more like a burden to me. Despite having steady job I'm single and move fequently. The few non-work colthes look like they are from 80s or 90s. I don't even wear a watch. My desk is a nightstand I bought for $5 and refinished. I like one type of pen and bought a goss of them so that I could lend them freely without fear of loss/damage from co-workers. I've never Golfed or Skied (Is that the right word?).

I think I've gone overboard with the headphones though, I need to get down to one pair.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I bet starting off with a book by Chuck Palahniuk would be an excellent way to kick your new free hobby off.

+1 for Palahniuk

"The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" by Murakami would be another good starter.

Reading books has this really cool effect of making me like myself more and making me not feel like a cool-person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back