How to Force Starfield to Output in Surround when connected to DAC?
Oct 7, 2023 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ronfifer

100+ Head-Fier
Have you tried starfield? it automatically outputs audio based on default windows device, so if i'm using SMSL-8 DAC which is stereo, i can never enjoy starfield using dolby atmos for headphones like i do with battlefield, because starfield only outputs in stereo. Do u know a workaround?

All other games output surround sound just fine which is processed using dolby atmos for headphones into the stereo headphones, delivering surround sound. Except starfield.

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 3
Have you tried starfield? it automatically outputs audio based on default windows device, so if i'm using SMSL-8 DAC which is stereo, i can never enjoy starfield using dolby atmos for headphones like i do with battlefield, because starfield only outputs in stereo. Do u know a workaround?

All other games output surround sound just fine which is processed using dolby atmos for headphones into the stereo headphones, delivering surround sound. Except starfield.
Doesn't Starfield have simulated surround on 2 channels, or on headphones? Like, it sounds like sound is coming from the back even on headphones. I thought that setting was pretty standard.

How different is the experience with Dolby Atmos headphones? If it's an interesting enough experience, I would like to try it. Which dolby surround heaphone do you recommend?

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Doesn't Starfield have simulated surround on 2 channels, or on headphones? Like, it sounds like sound is coming from the back even on headphones. I thought that setting was pretty standard.

How different is the experience with Dolby Atmos headphones? If it's an interesting enough experience, I would like to try it. Which dolby surround heaphone do you recommend?
silverears, One does not need "surround" headphones to enjoy dolby atmos for headphones. All you need is a good quality stereo headphone, preferably with a large soundstage for open world games, and activate the license in dolby access app in microsoft store. Dolby atmos for headphones will convolve any surround sound from a game into a binaural stereo signal that is just like surround, and improves immersion in the game world and improves directionality of sound.

It works smoothly with most games that can be configured in their sound settings to output surround sound.

The problem with starfield is it has no sound options that let you force to output surround, it automatically decides based on the number of channels of the sound device on windows. In my case I use a DAC for headphones which windows sees it as a stereo device, so starfield limits itself to stereo and prevents us from enjoying the binaural effect of dolby atmos for headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back