How to fix the Sony skipping problem!
Feb 21, 2003 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LamerDeluxe (tm)

500+ Head-Fier
My D-T66 skipped very badly during the first few tracks, it couldn't really play them at all. It had Sony's famous 'only plays without skipping when tilted' problem. This is a very common problem with the old Sony's and the only other options are replacing the motor or the whole laser assembly.

This is how I fixed the D-T66 skipping problem. The problem was caused by a dried out motor ball-bearing. It could be noticed by twirling the spindle by hand, it was not smooth, but noisy. This probably makes the lens vibrate, resulting in skipping.

I removed the spindle hub by pushing increasingly large watch maker's screwdrivers under it, all the way to the spindle. (be careful not to warp the plastic disc)

Then I got some sewing machine oil and placed a few drops at the circular groove around the spindle, which apparently is the ball-bearing. I let it seep into the opening, twirled the spindle a bit, repeated it once and removed the excess oil with a tissue. I then placed the spindle hub back at the right height.
(at first it wasn't at the right height, it was too high, resulting in terrible skipping at the later tracks)

Placing the spindle back requires some force, I had to take the motor out and apply force only to the motor, so nothing would be damaged.

I tried this with my D-311, but couldn't get the spindle hub off. So I got a syringe (sp?) with a needle and used that to place the oil drops at the ball-bearing under the spindle hub. (I needed to open the player to be able to do that). That seemed to work well.

Anyway, the D-T66 is playing without any skipping now.

Feb 22, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 3
Do you really know what your talking about? Or did you just get lucky?
eek.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Good going, LamerDeluxe (tm)!

This must be encouraging to many old Sony pcdp owners. There's hope!
cool.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally posted by puppyslugg
Do you really know what your talking about? Or did you just get lucky?
eek.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Ofcourse, I didn't mention that I tried all the Mac Guyver tricks I could think of first, things involving rubber bands, mirrors, toilet cleaning products and yogurt.

Quote:

Good going, LamerDeluxe (tm)!

This must be encouraging to many old Sony pcdp owners. There's hope!
cool.gif

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you do a Google search, you'll notice a lot of people already had this problem with their Sony PCDP's when they just came out. So this problem should be much more common now (I often see it mention in e-Bay auctions).

That said, I only fixed one player this way, so I can't be sure that it will fix all the players that have this problem.

NOW it's past my bedtime, time to skip right into my bed
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back