How To Fix The Headphone "Stethoscope Effect"
Jan 20, 2013 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MajorBrass

New Head-Fier
I recently got the AKG K550 to replace my 6+ year old Sen. HD 280 Pro's. The K550s suffer from an annoying Stethoscope Effect, any time the cable rubs against my clothing or i rub either the cable or the headphones themselves, I get annoying noise and interference that partially mutes the music or game sound. This happens wether the K550s are hooked up to my PC or iPhone.

I will likely RMA this pair as I don't think $280+ headphones should suffer from this kind of a flaw. However, if I get the replacement and it too has this problem, I was thinking about a possible DIY solution.

I was wondering if getting heat shrink tubing cutting it to the length of the headphone cable, threading it on it, and heat shrinking it may fix the problem.

Do you guys think that may work to remedy the problem? If not, what would you suggest?

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 5
Cable microphonics is an issue mostly with in-ears. But I do not exactly understand how it causes interference and mutes the music. Do you have electronic contact issues?

If you mean only cable microphonics, then it is probably because the cable to the earcup goes straight and tight. You could try fixing the cable before the earcup flexibly. With an o-ring or something.
Normally with on-ears you lead the cable behind the ears or have it clipped to your shirt loosely to prevent this.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 5
I really do not know what is causing it. I thought may be the cable is just not shielded enough so adding the shrink tubing may fix the issue but may be there is something wrong with this particular pair. I have several earbuds and none of them do this so I'm surprised that these high end over the ears headphones have it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 5
The "Design problem" is physics....

Sound is vibration.  Vibration travels through rigid solids (like the metal in your headphone cables) much better than through fluids (like air).  So the problem is caused by your clothing, and the fact that your cables rub against it.  The only solutions I can think of is to change the cable position so it rubs less, or wear clothing that is less rough.  Possibly even get a piece of silk cloth or something to cover the shoulder or collar where it rubs.  Sleeving the cable would probably have the opposite effect.  The more rough the material, the more noise it will make while rubbing against your clothing.

Also, RMAing a product you don't like for a "design flaw" like this is more than bordering on dishonest.

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #5 of 5
How would heat shrink tubing add any shielding to the cable?

What does the ohm-meter say when you measure the various connections on the plug:
Tip to Ring
Tip to Sleeve
Ring to Sleeve

What is the nominal impedance of these headphones?

Do any of these readings change if you jiggle the cable near its ends? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back