how to fix skipping cd player?
Jan 24, 2003 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
yesterday i picked up a sony cdp c545 cd changer, which ended up being free because it skips. i took it apart and cleaned it with compressed air, but it still skips. i was considering using one of the laser head cleaners, you know the cd with the cleaning surface glued to it.

what are some of the other possible causes of the skipping? laser misalignment? what else? is this something i can fix myself (i can use a soldering iron and am pretty good at fixing things)?

if i take it in to be repaired, does anyonw know how much it might be? it is worth it to me because while it was working this cdp has a nice sounding line out (the headphone out is a bit murky), and it would make a great office source.

thanks.

Jan 24, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

i was considering using one of the laser head cleaners, you know the cd with the cleaning surface glued to it.

Those cleaners are damn useless. If you've already blown the unit clean (all that laser cleaner will do, they're just cds with little brushes glued to them) then you need servicing (of course, they will blow it clean first
rolleyes.gif
) If it is the laser alignment - it shouldn't cost much, depending of what your guy charges per hour (in this case it should be fraction thereof).

Jan 24, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 3
thanks. i suppose realigning a laser is a bit more complex than aligning a tape head?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back