How to fix my Mini3?
Nov 16, 2011 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wilse

New Head-Fier
Hi-

A couple years ago, I ordered a amp/dac unit from MisterX, here on the head-fi forums.  The unit had a Gamma Lite DAC and a Mini3 amp, and it has been awesome!!

But, last winter I broke it.  Here's what happened: I was wearing a comfy blanket while listening to music with my headphones. The blanket must have built up a good amount of static charge, because I felt a shock through my left ear (ouch!) into (or from?) the headphones.  There was a "pop!" noise, and the music immediately sounded like total garbage after that.  No volume, muddy, awful.  The headphones weren't broken - they work fine on other sources.  The DAC wasn't affected, as the non-amped speaker out from the DAC works fine.  So, something got messed up in the amp.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might have gotten broken, how I could possibly diagnose the problem, and possibly fix it?  I absolutely love this little unit, and would really like to get it fixed up. 

old picture, but you get the idea:

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 3
First step would be to open it up and look for obvious signs of damage. Pics would be good too. Do you have any tools like a multimeter or soldering iron?

You might want to post this on amb's forums as well, smaller chance it gets lost in the noise like here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back