How to fix a TFT monitor
Oct 25, 2007 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

subharmonic

100+ Head-Fier
My old monitor has given up the ghost. Interestingly, the screen itself isn't damaged, and there wasn't any frying or burning of wires, or smoke coming out the back of it. Inititially occasionally I would get a dark veil come over the screen - it would dim, and then it would brighten back up to normal. Now though it doesn't do this. Power seems to go to the screen as it is sort of back lit, but no picture shows. I get the feeling that it could just be a minor fault as it was just a very gradual process to get where it is now - ie one minute it was working then it wasn't, but switch the thing off and reboot the PC, and it would work again.

Any ideas what could be the cause? It's an LG L1811S screen. Any help would be great. I have already bought a replacement screen, but this LG monitor was actually borrowed from my friend, so I could really be doing with fixing it to save me buying another one for him...

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 3
TFTs are normally user-serviceable, due to the complexity of the design. The problem might be simple, but the fact is that it's basically a collection of cells filled with liquid crystals stick to a bunch of transistors and microchips, not exactly something you could go to Radioshack, find the parts, then fix by yourself even if you knew there was a fault with one of the transistors (for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back