How to find out if an iPOD is a 4G or 5G?
Feb 23, 2006 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Boy, do I feel like a technology dinosaur! And I'm only in my mid-30s.....
icon10.gif

Alright, you youngens of the Y-generation, and whatever generation they are callling you 25 and under folks! Please help me with this question. I've decided to get a 4G iPod Photo (60GB) so I can send it to Red Wine Audio for the iMod. How the heck do you tell which iPOD I'm getting online or in the store?

I did some search online and came up with two model numbers for the 4G iPod Photo 60GB:
M9586LL/A and M9830LL/A.

So which is the real 4G model? Please enlighten me, and be nice and show some respect to the "old man".

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Hey old man.
icon10.gif

I'm not too sure about the model numbers, but the biggest cosmetic differences b/n the 4th and 5th generation have to do with the size of the screen and scroll wheel. If the diameter of the clickwheel is about the same length as the length of the screen, then it's a 4g iPod. If the diameter of the clickwheel is noticeably shorter than the length of the screen, then it's a 5g iPod.

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Good call with the pictures! Notice the 4G iPod has rounded back AND front, with a noticably smaller screen and bigger wheel.

The 5G iPod has "sharp" edges on the face and you'll notice in pictures the aspect ratio of the screen compared to the wheel makes it look like it's actually way bigger (which it isn't).

To be honest, the fastest way to find out is in the deal you got. 4G iPods will be available for substantially less than a 5G.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
...you'll notice in pictures the aspect ratio of the screen compared to the wheel makes it look like it's actually way bigger (which it isn't)....

I personally think thats a marketing gimmick, so that Apple can trick you into thinking that the screen is big and nice, while in reality it's just a bit bigger than the 4G's.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Another quick test: if it's black, and has a black/greyish click wheel, it's a 5G. If it's black with red scroll wheel, it's 4G. Both have white versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back