How to figure out the output power of laptop audio?
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rattywolf

New Head-Fier
Where can I find (or how to safely measure) a laptop audio output power? I am curious because it sounds better than all players I have had in a while, and I guess it may be because of its power, sounds like it just drives my earphones right. I can't find any detailed specs on Acer website (I have Acer Aspire A717-72G-73KT), only general instructions. Should I mess with measurements at all if I am not technically proficient, can it bring possible damage to the laptop and what kind of gear I have to use? I think I can borrow a multimeter, not sure if this is enough. Sorry for stupid questions :flushed:

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 5
So what happens after you hook up a multimeter and figure out the output power of the laptop's headphone jack?

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 5
So what happens after you hook up a multimeter and figure out the output power of the laptop's headphone jack?
Here is my question, how to do it correctly and could it lead to any damage?

Mar 19, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 5
This is a difficult one, as the power measurement will vary somewhat, depending on load. That said, your laptop should burp out a max of 2.2v peak-to-peak (roughly 0.7v RMS) - you can measure this by using the multimeter across the poles of your output, and set it to V-average (or Vrms on some). The safest way to do it is to use a headphone signal splitter (the ones that let you plug 2 3.5mm into the same socket), and make a test line, with a 3.5mm socket at one end, and bare wire at the other. That's a lot easier than trying to get probes into a small socket without shorting - also lets you measure average current for different headphones, albeit not very scientifically :D.

Don't worry too much about damaging the laptop - there will be some for of short protection on the OpAmp that drives the socket....but still best avoid shorting if you can. Have fun.

Mar 19, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 5
This is a difficult one, as the power measurement will vary somewhat, depending on load. That said, your laptop should burp out a max of 2.2v peak-to-peak (roughly 0.7v RMS) - you can measure this by using the multimeter across the poles of your output, and set it to V-average (or Vrms on some). The safest way to do it is to use a headphone signal splitter (the ones that let you plug 2 3.5mm into the same socket), and make a test line, with a 3.5mm socket at one end, and bare wire at the other. That's a lot easier than trying to get probes into a small socket without shorting - also lets you measure average current for different headphones, albeit not very scientifically :D.

Don't worry too much about damaging the laptop - there will be some for of short protection on the OpAmp that drives the socket....but still best avoid shorting if you can. Have fun.
Thank you, that sounds as a safe method. Will try)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back