How to "enjoy" music?
Jan 21, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #301 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, now I don't believe that even for one second.

Let's take something simpler than music, something that we can all relate to. I'm absolutely certain you've seen a lady sometime in your life and thought "Wow! She's beautiful."

The lady isn't perfect, has lots of flaws, yet you find her "beautiful". I don't know why, and I don't want to know. It just happens. Same thing with music.

That hasn't happened to me. I don't go outside much. It must have something to do with pheromones which clouds your judgement. When I'm at home and look at movies I see problems with their skin.

Maybe I should go outside and start touching people. I have never touched anyone other than in gym class. But I'm scared people will think I'm some kind of freak and then they will put me in prison. So instead I have locked myself up in my room. I don't feel any emotions, I think I might have had some emotions when I was a kid, but I can't remember.

Jan 22, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #304 of 365
I figured out why I don't enjoy music. It's because I shut off all emotions when playing games in order to play it better. When normal people make a mistake they start screaming and throwing stuff on the wall, but that isn't going to make them better players. What you need to do is learn and forget about the mistake and keep on going. Years ago my face got a little stiff after making a mistake, but now I don't feel anything at all. Within a second I have forgotten about the mistake, it's like I don't care about making the mistake in the first place.

When I play chess and opponent suddenly eats my queen or makes mate, I don't care, I just start another match and keep on going. I like to do all kinds of weird sacrifices of my pieces and I don't care if I win or lose, it has helped me improve my skill as well.
When I played Quake3 there wasn't enough time to realize you made a mistake. When you do something very fast you don't have time to think about other things. When you are in the zone you have no emotion at all.
In pool I have figured out how to get into the zone, just shut off all emotions and do only the eye movements that are required. When doing unnecessary movements the zone goes away. It makes me look like a zombie but I don't care.

So when I listen to music the same thing happens, I keep a neutral state of mind and just listen to how it sounds like without having any emotions. Then I make a tweak and listen again. It's the only accurate way to do it. When I look in my logs I don't see any mistakes, I heard the same differences every time.

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #305 of 365
Wow.I'd really like to have that capacity for concentration,I can tell you! Is it tiring after some time?

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #306 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow.I'd really like to have that capacity for concentration,I can tell you! Is it tiring after some time?

If you move your eyes around the room it forces them to re-focus and eventually the eyes start hurting. But if you focus on the same spot and move around your head it isn't tiring. When you are in the zone you move your eyes as little as possible.

The same thing applies to concentration, if you keep concentrating on the same game it isn't tiring. But if you keep switching between many things it's fatiguing to re-adjust to the game. If you get emotional from a game it's hard to get the concentration back.

I was playing pool and played one of my worst games ever, my eyes were hurting when I moved them, so I kept them as still as possible. A few minutes later I was in the zone and played my best game ever.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #309 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J.P.: Are you afraid of it?
Kane: No I just don't like techno.
J.P.: You would if you had robot ears.

HAHA I always thought of that when reading some of his posts.

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #310 of 365
This is the best thread on Head-Fi!
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #311 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figured out why I don't enjoy music. It's because I shut off all emotions when playing games in order to play it better. When normal people make a mistake they start screaming and throwing stuff on the wall, but that isn't going to make them better players. What you need to do is learn and forget about the mistake and keep on going.

I found this video to demonstrate it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #312 of 365
I'm in love now. I felt something moving in my stomach but I just thought it was because I ate too little food. Few days later I ate loads of food and 1 kg of icecream. Problem wasn't the food. I'm feeling love in stomach now. It came after adding PS Audio Noise Harvester in my system and compensating for the extra bass with a few tweaks: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...9&postcount=98

I'm feeling huge adrenaline in stomach like never before, it comes after turning on music! The adrenaline rush keeps on going the more I listen. I try to turn music off but it's addicting and I want to keep listening.

When I remove a tweak in my audio system I don't get the feeling anymore.

EDIT: I have never felt something this strong before. Without Valhalla cables I wouldn't have been able to feel my first love. I guess I can remove my online ad then, I have already found my love = Valhalla cable + tweaks.

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #313 of 365
i believe you are experiencing enjoyment. from the increased bass response from the harvester, yes. from the music, who knows. but it's something to be happy about, congrats!

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #314 of 365
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People keep talking about "it makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck" and similar things. That has never happened to me, how do you do it?

It's why I'm a musician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back